Respected Contributor

Which version of the Bronte sisters presentation did you get?

[ Edited ]

I was whining to a friend who lives in Chicago about the Bronte travesty. She agreed with me. HOWEVER, her show did not end abruptly after 90 minutes.

She said the Bronte Society presented a lovely tour of the Bronte--museum? There was also information on ordering items (I think that's what my friend said). And then the whole thing ended with a summary of what happened to the various Brontes. Plus there was another shot of the fire-headed children. (Reading an answer to this post, I see now the women were flame-headed. That actually makes sense.)

ALSO, she said there was a section in the middle of the program about when Charlotte and Emily (I think it was Emily) went to London to talk with a potential publisher. There was a scene at an opera house.

I remember reading about all this in the massive book published by the Bronte Society, but I did not see it on my TV. I even fast-forwarded through the whole show and there was nothing on this.

So her program did not end abruptly and had more information.

However, she did agree that the women were very difficult to understand, and that Branwell was on way too much (and what did that sculptor have to do with anything?).

Which version did your area receive? (Or is my friend just trying to make me jealous?)

Honored Contributor

Re: Which version of the Bronte sisters presentation did you get?

We had the two-hour version.  I fell asleep but awoke near the end, and it was in the modern world with people browsing in a book store - no narration, just music.  It was bizarre, and I didn't know what it was, so it must have been as you said - the museum.  At the end were the three women standing proudly on a grassy hillside, each wearing a full skirt and crowned by a flame.  I didn't know what that was either, and it was bizarre, reminding me of Pentecost.

Respected Contributor

My show was 2 hours long.

Respected Contributor

I started watching the PBS show about the Bronte sisters and could not get into it.  I really wanted to like it because I so like their books. I did not care for the actresses who were selected to play the Bronte sisters and found them very difficult to understand.  I recently read "Becoming Jane Eyre" which provided a lot of details about the Bronte family.  I found the PBS program to provide a lot of the same details so lost interest.  Was very disappointed. 

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama