Honored Contributor

Re: Where are all the Beautiful Dresses (Emmys) tonight??

Jamie Alexander's dress was my fave... she is the star of the new TV show "Blindspot" starting tonight. Armani Prive dress...

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I agree... she looked beautiful in that color, which many cannot wear.  She was just perfect all over!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Tinkrbl44, It is a challenge to look good no matter who you are in 100 degree weather ! Can you imagine a long dress with spandex foundation under garments? whew

Honored Contributor

Frances McDormand.  I usually don't comment on appearances, but what was she thinking?

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I think Frances McDormand is rather odd!  She seems truly put out that she's there - she needs to stay home and have someone send the Emmy to her.

Esteemed Contributor

FM  DOESN,T CARE. You can tell she is in it for the acting only and not the hype. Her speech was the shortest on record.   She could have made some kind of effort, she looked like a lot of them might have if they didn,t were makeup either.  Years ago she made an effort, now she is making a statement.  

Very boring show.  I DVR ed it, and skipped a lot.  The MC not as funny.  JIMmy K was stupid and I like him.  This show was just as boring last year.  Tried again this year. I also thought T j don,t know how to spell her last name, COOKIE SHOULD HAVE WON.

What is up with all the racial speeches,?  Black women have been winning awards since HATTIE MacDaniels, DORTHEY DANRIDGE(?), and quite a few others through the years.  I,m getting tired of hearing it at every award show.  My God we got the Man in the white house.  Let,s stop the pity party.  Not being PC nurtured of it.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

FM  DOESN,T CARE. You can tell she is in it for the acting only and not the hype. Her speech was the shortest on record.   She could have made some kind of effort, she looked like a lot of them might have if they didn,t were makeup either.  Years ago she made an effort, now she is making a statement.  

Very boring show.  I DVR ed it, and skipped a lot.  The MC not as funny.  JIMmy K was stupid and I like him.  This show was just as boring last year.  Tried again this year. I also thought T j don,t know how to spell her last name, COOKIE SHOULD HAVE WON.

What is up with all the racial speeches,?  Black women have been winning awards since HATTIE MacDaniels, DORTHEY DANRIDGE(?), and quite a few others through the years.  I,m getting tired of hearing it at every award show.  My God we got the Man in the white house.  Let,s stop the pity party.  Not being PC nurtured of it.

Those weren't Emmy Awards and women of color have all too often won awards for playing servants (McDaniels, Octavia Spencer). I can count all of the women of color who have won Oscars on one hand and now I can count on one finger the number of women of color who have won an Emmy for lead actress in a Comedy or a Drama each on one finger. 

Last night was the first time a black woman has won an Emmy for a lead role in a drama. Roles for women of color are limited on TV and have been since the 90s. Roles for Hispanics and Asians are even more limited. This article about diversity at the Emmys is from 2012, and not much has changed since then. As Viola Davis said so well, "you cannot win an Emmy for roles that simply aren't there."

And that's why speeches were made about it.

Valued Contributor

Not sure why you had to go there...I thought this thread was about Emmy dresses, not speeches?

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

It was the first win for a black woman in the "best actress" category for the Emmys.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

And their hair... 

Anybody would think they were all headed to a bowling banquet...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...