Honored Contributor

Where Is All The Great Movie Music?

So one of our theaters is showing Breakfast At Tiffany's and the first thought that came to my mind was Moon River.  So many films in the past bring to mind great songs associated with them:  all the musicals of course but I mean non-musical films such as Chariots of Fire, The Pink Panther, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Theme from Romeo and Juliet, Deliverance, Bonnie and Clyde, Midnight Cowboy (Everybody's Talkin' At Me), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head) etc.   It doesn't seem like even Oscar winning songs have the same great qualities any more than make them memorable. Yes, Shallow from A Star is Born is good, as is that song from Frozen whose title I can't think of right now, but even those may not stand the test of time such as the songs from movies from the earlier films I've named. 

It seems that movies lack great songs being associated with them any more.  Moon River is as much a part of Breakfast At Tiffany's identity as is Hepburn's hat and long cigarette holder.

I miss those great movie themes.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Where Is All The Great Movie Music?

You know, I never thought about that. But you're right. Back in the day, the music was just as important as the movie. Things change. I guess today's movie makers don't value superior movie scores anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee: You got me thinking about some other great movie music:

Theme from "Rocky"

Theme from "Shaft" 

Saturday Night Fever

Lawrence of Arabia

The Godfather

Star Wars

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Superman 

Claudine

Honored Contributor

Thanks Diva on the Q. I was hoping others would chime in, although I cant recall the music from Close Encounters as being memorable. Happy for your input though.
Trusted Contributor

Great question!!  Memorable for me..................Theme from Jaws, from the first few notes!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

So one of our theaters is showing Breakfast At Tiffany's and the first thought that came to my mind was Moon River.  So many films in the past bring to mind great songs associated with them:  all the musicals of course but I mean non-musical films such as Chariots of Fire, The Pink Panther, Love Is A Many Splendored Thing, Theme from Romeo and Juliet, Deliverance, Bonnie and Clyde, Midnight Cowboy (Everybody's Talkin' At Me), Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head) etc.   It doesn't seem like even Oscar winning songs have the same great qualities any more than make them memorable. Yes, Shallow from A Star is Born is good, as is that song from Frozen whose title I can't think of right now, but even those may not stand the test of time such as the songs from movies from the earlier films I've named. 

It seems that movies lack great songs being associated with them any more.  Moon River is as much a part of Breakfast At Tiffany's identity as is Hepburn's hat and long cigarette holder.

I miss those great movie themes.  

I think they're all gone with the wind.Smiley Embarassed

Honored Contributor

I think the last good ones for me were, Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, Gonna Fly Now (Rocky). There were a few more, but not many. How long ago was Alfie? I loved that song. Moonglow from Picnic. Yes, more than I thought, but they just don't write 'em like they used to. What Was "if ever I would leave you from?" Camelot I guess. But I'm going back. 

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite compositions is "Crazy World" by Lerner and Loewe  from Victor/Victoria.  Such a beautifully-written song.

Honored Contributor

Goldfinger
That song Irene Cara sang from Flashdance ( What a Feeling?)
It Had To Be You (When Harry Met Sally)
Evergreen
The Way We Were
Honored Contributor

And just as Moon River comes to mind with the mention of Breakfast at T, say Casablanca and As Time Goes By pops right to mind.