Honored Contributor

Re: When They See Us

[ Edited ]

I haven't watched this yet but one son has.  Now I anticipate I will not be able to "stomach" what I view.

We really do not learn from the lessons that have already been presented to us before.  Annabelle wrote with much wisdom.  Why is it so hard to understand and accept others?  Why is it so dangerous to be a person of color in America? 

However hard we try to extricate ourselves from a past that included slavery, we never seem to to be able to fully  erase the prejudices that slavery allowed us to concretize in our (America's) foundation that was built upon (ironically) democracy.

I grew up below the Mason-Dixon Line with all the hallmarks of a separation of rights and privileges.  For some reason, although Caucasian, I sensed something was wrong with keeping people unequal.  Perhaps it was because I encountered some prejudice of my own as I grew up as a person of Southern European descent in an area dominated by those of Western and Northern European descent.  Yes, I knew when I was on the fuzzy end of the lollipop in those days.  You couldn't fool me. 

ETA:  I must give credit where credit is due.  My parents taught me to treat everyone with respect.  My father hired cooks and dishwashers who were Black to work in his restaurant; at that time, waitresses were always Caucasian.  As I wrote, a very different time and place.  I was always taught to address everyone with a "Mr." or "Mrs,"  as in "Mr. Frank" or "Miss Elsie."   Always and without exception.  

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I haven't watched this yet but one son has.  Now I anticipate I will not be able to "stomach" what I view.

We really do not learn from the lessons that have already been presented to us before.  Annabelle wrote with much wisdom.  Why is it so hard to understand and accept others?  Why is it so dangerous to be a person of color in America? 

However hard we try to extricate ourselves from a past that included slavery, we never seem to to be able to fully  erase the prejudices that slavery allowed us to concretize in our (America's) foundation that was built upon (ironically) democracy.

I grew up below the Mason-Dixon Line with all the hallmarks of a separation of rights and privileges.  For some reason, although Caucasian, I sensed something was wrong with keeping people unequal.  Perhaps it was because I encountered some prejudice of my own as I grew up as a person of Southern European descent in an area dominated by those of Western and Northern European descent.  Yes, I knew when I was on the fuzzy end of the lollipop in those days.  You couldn't fool me. 

ETA:  I must give credit where credit is due.  My parents taught me to treat everyone with respect.  My father hired cooks and dishwashers who were Black to work in his restaurant; at that time, waitresses were always Caucasian.  As I wrote, a very different time and place.  I was always taught to address everyone with a "Mr." or "Mrs,"  as in "Mr. Frank" or "Miss Elsie."   Always and without exception.  

@golding76...My sister and I were fortunate in having parents that taught us that people of color were no different than we were.  My father's boss was black and Dad was in his house many times.  One of my best friends in Jr. High School was Margaret who was a black girl and I was invited to attend her brother's recital at Carnegie Hall in New York where I was raised. Adults were always Mr., Mrs. or Miss, never by first names the way kids today address adults.  It's a far different world from when I grew up.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

Have you read Ann Coulter's take on all this? Look up Ann Coulters CENTRAL PARK RAPISTS. There's a few articles she wrote. It makes you wonder!

"While it blows most people away to find out that none of the suspects' DNA was found on Meili, this is a sleight of hand. The trick is that we're looking at it through a modern lens. True, today, these kids' DNA would have been found all over the crime scene. But in 1989, DNA was a primitive science. Cops wouldn't have even bothered collecting samples for DNA tests back then. 

The case was solved with other evidence -- and there was a lot of it." 

I'm signing off..have a list of things to get done. Smiley Happy

@MorningLover...No, I haven't but I will definitely look up Ann Coulter.  Thanks for the heads up.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover... I just finished reading two articles from Ann Coulter regarding the Central Park Rapists.  Very enlightening to say the least.  I won't comment further due to the backlash that would occur, but it certainly proved there were many oversights. Interesting reading, thanks again for bringing it to my attention.

Esteemed Contributor

Whew I was able to finish watching this weekend.   I must admit as hard as it was to watch it was hard not to watch but I did it taking breaks at times to get my head together to continue......very emotional indeed not only for the exonerated five but their families as well.

Honored Contributor

Lindsay's Grandma,

Not that I minded, but my parents pretty much chose all the guests from our side at my first wedding.  Although what I'm about to write might sound ridiculous to some who did not live through segregation and the emergence of the laws that outlawed the heinous practice, my father surprised me with the presence of his Black friend at my wedding.

As one carted around to so many weddings in my youth (so I knew the look of those invited), I'd venture to say that I was among the first Greek-American gals to have a person of color at her wedding.

As I wrote above, a strange and different era.  My dad knew this very fine gentleman through his business dealings.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad this miniseries was recognized and received a good many Emmy nominations.