Honored Contributor

When Harry Met Sally - 30th anniversary

Fathom events is showing this in theaters nationwide on December 1 and 3. That time of year it's hard to make anything, but I really hope I can go. It's one of my favorite movies. Smiley Happy

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan were not the first choices for the starring roles. Director Rob Reiner wanted Albert Brooks and Susan Dey, who turned it down. Molly Ringwald also turned down the role of Sally because of a scheduling conflict. Elizabeth Perkins and Elizabeth McGovern were both also considered. Tom Hanks declined the role of Harry. Michael Keaton, Jeff Bridges, Harrison Ford, and Bill Murray were also considered. 

I can relate a little bit to the characters. In my sophomore year of college, I was talking to a group about the college I'd attended my freshman year - 10 hours away. One of the guys said his sister lived there, he was going to visit her, and did I want to ride with him and visit my previous college. Of course I did! But I was a little shy back then, and I didn't know him. I went anyway. We talked, and argued, then about halfway there stopped for dinner very late at night. HE was the fussy one when it came to food! LOL! We continued our trip. I was tired but didn't want to fall asleep as I wanted to keep him company. I will admit it was awkward at times. We survived the trip up and back and became great platonic friends. So I do think a man and a woman can be close platonic friends! LOL! He dated a few friends of mine, and when he had romance problems he would come to my dorm room for comfort and advice. He married a sweet girl who was a year behind us! When I saw the movie, I thought of that trip! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: When Harry Met Sally - 30th anniversary

This movie has a special place in my Heart !

Honored Contributor

Good thing all the other actors turned down the film or were "considered"....the Billy/Meg combo is epic.

Sweet memories of your college days...thanks for sharing.

Honored Contributor

And remember that Carrie Fisher snd Bruno Kirby are also featured in it, and both have passed away. along with Estelle Reiner who has one of the most famous one liners, ever. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

And remember that Carrie Fisher snd Bruno Kirby are also featured in it, and both have passed away. along with Estelle Reiner who has one of the most famous one liners, ever. 

@Shelbelle 

Yeah, but that scene never worked for me.  I just never believed Sally would do that.  Totally out of character.  There were a few scenes and a few lines that just didn't click.

It was like they started with a laundry list of funny items that had to be worked into the movie whether they fit the characters or not.

It just didn't have the "heart" that You've Got Mail had.  Not a total loss, though.  Still watchable.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Fathom events is showing this in theaters nationwide on December 1 and 3. That time of year it's hard to make anything, but I really hope I can go. It's one of my favorite movies. Smiley Happy

Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan were not the first choices for the starring roles. Director Rob Reiner wanted Albert Brooks and Susan Dey, who turned it down. Molly Ringwald also turned down the role of Sally because of a scheduling conflict. Elizabeth Perkins and Elizabeth McGovern were both also considered. Tom Hanks declined the role of Harry. Michael Keaton, Jeff Bridges, Harrison Ford, and Bill Murray were also considered. 

I can relate a little bit to the characters. In my sophomore year of college, I was talking to a group about the college I'd attended my freshman year - 10 hours away. One of the guys said his sister lived there, he was going to visit her, and did I want to ride with him and visit my previous college. Of course I did! But I was a little shy back then, and I didn't know him. I went anyway. We talked, and argued, then about halfway there stopped for dinner very late at night. HE was the fussy one when it came to food! LOL! We continued our trip. I was tired but didn't want to fall asleep as I wanted to keep him company. I will admit it was awkward at times. We survived the trip up and back and became great platonic friends. So I do think a man and a woman can be close platonic friends! LOL! He dated a few friends of mine, and when he had romance problems he would come to my dorm room for comfort and advice. He married a sweet girl who was a year behind us! When I saw the movie, I thought of that trip! Smiley Happy

Reiner and Crystal have been BFF's since forever, I would have thought Crystal would have been his first choice. The role seems to have been written just for him. 

Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle 

Yeah, but that scene never worked for me.  I just never believed Sally would do that.  Totally out of character.  There were a few scenes and a few lines that just didn't click.

It was like they started with a laundry list of funny items that had to be worked into the movie whether they fit the characters or not.

It just didn't have the "heart" that You've Got Mail had.  Not a total loss, though.  Still watchable.

i have to disagree, I think that scene in the deli was right in Sally's character. At that point she was trying to get Harry's goat at every chance she could, and this was her golden opportunity. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am not one that likes to see movies over and over. But, I have seen that movie many items.  Had some great lines and scenes!!   The first time I saw that deli scene, I was somewhat shocked, but laughed my head off!!

I also believe that men and woman can have platonic relationship.  Some of my best friends have been males and the relationships have been irreplaceable!

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Reiner and Crystal have been BFF's since forever, I would have thought Crystal would have been his first choice. The role seems to have been written just for him. 

@Shelbelle - From a 2019 interview with Reiner and Crystal:

Interviewer: Rob, is it true you considered other actors to play Harry?

Reiner: The problem for me was, whenever you do something this personal and you're best friends, if it doesn't work, it's like,"Oy! What could be?" Finally I said, "Aw, *** it, he's perfect! He's going to be able to do a better version of me than I could be."

Crystal: We were in the same (office) complex. I knew there was this film; it was called Boy Meets Girl at the time. And I knew who he was seeing. It was all the top guys in our age group. So it was no mystery who's coming in and out. So you go, "OK, if he doesn't want me." I love him, so at the same time you have to go, "He wants what he wants," and you live with it. So when the call came he was almost apologetic. He was really sweet. "It was always you!" I said, "Rob, I'm not going to do this *** movie." (They both laugh)

I agree with you - I can't imagine anyone but these two in those parts! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Sad losses. I loved seeing Billy and Bruno together in their movies. Together with Rob, the two of them were close in real life. Michelle Nicastro, who played Harry's girlfriend Amanda at the beginning, also passed away in 2010 at age 50.