Honored Contributor

When Calls The Heart Question

I keep seeing the promos for this show, and they look good.  Of course I've heard about this show for a long time since I watch The Hallmark Channel.

Could I start watching it now (or go back and watch the first couple of episodes of this season only) and figure out what's going on?  I would probably try to look up a synopsis of the past seasons but wouldn't want to go back and watch them.

Do those of you who watch this think it would be enjoyable to me if I did it this way?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: When Calls The Heart Question

@NickNack    This show is the intellectual equivalent of a Harlequin novel.  I tried to watch a couple episodes and abandoned the effort.  Different strokes, I guess.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624  About 40 years ago a gal in our office devoured Harlequin "romances."  I borrowed one once to read out of curiosity. The silliest, most treacly sweet nonsense I ever read.

As you said, different strokes. I attempted to watch a few minutes of one of these episodes and 5 minutes was enough.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack : Everyone is different. I was late starting this series. All my friends told me to start from the beginning. We had a book store to close and they had the DVD set for seasons 1-5 really low price. Then found good sales for the other seasons. Not watching this year and will wait when released on dvd. I then treated myself to a personal DVD player and ear phones and can sit comfortable in my recliner and enjoy while DH is watching sports in the den.

Honored Contributor

It's not for me. I find it incredibly unbelievable and unrealistic. So out of touch to what life was like back in those days.

Respected Contributor

I'm another one who couldn't get into this show.

Respected Contributor

DH and I watched the first few seasons when Jack, the mountie was on.

DH still watches it, though I find it unbelievable and boring.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Kachina624  About 40 years ago a gal in our office devoured Harlequin "romances."  I borrowed one once to read out of curiosity. The silliest, most treacly sweet nonsense I ever read.

As you said, different strokes. I attempted to watch a few minutes of one of these episodes and 5 minutes was enough.

I remember Harlequin romance novels, always had nice covers.  I think I tried to read one because they were very popular when I was growing up but I could not get into it at all.  It's strange I never see them in used book stores or yard sales.  I guess people  collect them.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I keep seeing the promos for this show, and they look good.  Of course I've heard about this show for a long time since I watch The Hallmark Channel.

Could I start watching it now (or go back and watch the first couple of episodes of this season only) and figure out what's going on?  I would probably try to look up a synopsis of the past seasons but wouldn't want to go back and watch them.

Do those of you who watch this think it would be enjoyable to me if I did it this way?

@NickNack 

I'm in exactly the same boat you are, I'm interested but have never watched the series. Saw my first Hallmark movie this past Christmas season and liked some of them. Also watched a few current Chesapeake Shores episodes and contemplated watching old episodes of that too.  What to do, not enough time I fear lol. 

Respected Contributor

If you keep your expectations really low. A big storyline was which suitor between two men widow-teacher Elisabeth would choose, but she picked. However, I have doubts that will end in marriage and there are many subplots going on. So while it would be better to start at the beginning there isn't that much substance to the show, so dive right in!