Honored Contributor

Re: What streaming service is best?

I have several and not a singe one costs a small fortune unless $4.99 to $9.99 is a fortune to you.  They all offer good programming so there is no BEST.  If I had to limit myself to one, I'd just use Prime Video that is free with my Amazon Prime membership.  Thousands of programs, music, concerts, photo storage.  We don't have Hulu but that is a great option too.  

Honored Contributor

I have Netflix which I like, Amazon Prime which quite honestly I could do without ( I get it for the shipping I do watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel), and HULU. I got HULU on Black Friday for $.99 a month with ads ( which I thought I would hate but doesn't bother me, for the price of one month no ads I get a whole year). I get AppleTV+ on and off, for the cost of $4.99 a month I think it's a bargain, they have very good original content. 

Respected Contributor

I have most of the streaming except amazon. I have Hulu Live because Direct Tv droppped my networks, Hulu has almost everything even TCM. It has gotten quite rediculous , i see something and you have to move up to the next tier to watch. Remember when there was only 3 networks.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions and replies. Regular cable is disappointing and the zillions of commercials are outrageous! All of you have been so helpful. Thank you again!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@DJP,

I think once you discover all these streaming services, you will feel like you are in a whole new world of so many good things to watch!  It's so much fun!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

some of the free "channel" are Pluto, IMDBtv, Flimrise which is ad heavy but free 

Trusted Contributor

@judianne wrote:

I have Prime with my Amazon subscription , has a big variety and lots of Amazon Prime only stuff , I got Hulu for 3 months free and when I went to cancel they offered me half price for a year , it has a lot of great tv shows that aren't available anywhere else , plus a lot of stuff on cable comes on there the day after . I also bought Peacock for 4.99 a month so my husband can watch the old Sanford and Son shows .  I do still have my cable , but plan to cut the cord soon . As l get more familiar with the streaming l use cable less and less . Nice thing about streaming , so much is free , most is really cheap , and you can cancel anytime ,  Just buy it for l month if it's something you want to see . 

How do you get your Network and locals? I lik local and National News

Honored Contributor

@buyornot.

I just saw this- Haystack News- a free

local, national news service! It is not like Newsy which has one person reciting news. This has your local familiar anchors! How great is that?!

If you want more of the local news channels, plus major national networks, there is Youtube tv, Sling,

and there may be others.

Roku also has local and national news on their Live TV.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

I have found the streaming channels with ads , that the ads are much shorter , a lot on Hulu are 30 seconds, and the show we have been watching on Peacock has only 1 ad every 30 minutes .