Valued Contributor

What streaming service is best?

There are so many to choose from. You could spend a small fortune. Any advice? 

Thank You.

Honored Contributor

Re: What streaming service is best?

[ Edited ]

Hi @DJP!

You might like to see what so many of the free streaming services have before you commit to the paying ones. They have o many varities of shows, movies, live tv.

Roku, peacock, tubi, fawsome,filmirse,foodGo,pluto, and I'm sure there are more. They seem to come out with more every day.

And for the pay ones like Netflix, Prime (amazon), Youtube, Hulu, HBO I think it depends on what you like the most. Amazon plays a lot of great British mysteries and detective shows. Netflix plays a lot of trendy most watched new shows, series but I find it is not my favorite and I could do without that one.

You might like to look up each streaming service on google and see what they have too.

Good luck! It's a whole new world defnitely!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

We like Netflix and never looked around.  They also have wonderful dramas!

I get my movies there as well.

Valued Contributor

@on the bay @ECBG 

Thank you for your suggestions. I really need to check these out!

Valued Contributor

I have Prime with my Amazon subscription , has a big variety and lots of Amazon Prime only stuff , I got Hulu for 3 months free and when I went to cancel they offered me half price for a year , it has a lot of great tv shows that aren't available anywhere else , plus a lot of stuff on cable comes on there the day after . I also bought Peacock for 4.99 a month so my husband can watch the old Sanford and Son shows .  I do still have my cable , but plan to cut the cord soon . As l get more familiar with the streaming l use cable less and less . Nice thing about streaming , so much is free , most is really cheap , and you can cancel anytime ,  Just buy it for l month if it's something you want to see . 

Respected Contributor

I have both Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime has some really good original shows, but overall I like Netflix better. 

Honored Contributor

Most of the streaming services have a free trial period.  I've tried several besides Netflix and Prime.  So far, I like YouTube TV best. I rarely watch Netflix.....too many bad movies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

depends on what you want to watch, I find 95% of the offerings on Netflix really slow and too long

Hulu the interface is not user friendly

the good news is most have a trial and it's easy to cycle thru what you want to see then cancel 

Respected Contributor

It depends on what you're wanting.  If you're wanting to cut the cord completely but want something similar to cable or satellite, YouTube TV is wonderful as it offers local channels including PBS and depending on the package, unlimited DVR recordings for a year.  We tried it for two weeks and were going to switch to it, but when I called DISH, they beat YouTube TV's price and have continued to do so, so we have kept DISH.

If you already have a satellite, cable or streaming service and are just wanting to add additional content, imo, the best all around streaming service that we will never be without is Netflix.  The great thing about streaming services is that you can get them anytime you want and cancel anytime you want.  Right now, I have HBO Max, because I was watching "And Just Like That," and by the time it was over, I was hooked into "The Gilded Age."  When that is over, I will watch the movies I've saved in my watch list and then likely cancel HBO Max even though they offered me a total year at half price--we will see.

We also got Paramount Plus to watch "1883"--LOVE!  My husband continues to enjoy shows on that channel, so we have kept it.  We also got Starz recently to watch "Outlander."  When it is over, we will drop Starz until another season of Outlander comes out.

So right now...we have Netflix, Prime Video (Amazon)--don't watch it much but will watch Bosch when it comes out, Paramount Plus, HBO Max, and Starz.  I don't blink an eye about paying for any of it either, as all of it together including DISH is only costing us $106 a month--we certainly get our money's worth!  I love to cook, so we don't eat out, we don't go to movies, and neither one of us are big spenders.  This is our entertainment, and we love it!

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

There are so many to choose from. You could spend a small fortune. Any advice? 

Thank You.

I've subscribed to Discovery Plus and Peacock but cancelled both. Neither had a lot that interestsed me or that wasn't already on regular satellite.