Esteemed Contributor

Re: What show/movie would you say made you cry the most? Or at least upset you the most?

The Joy Luck Club

My Dog Skip (Actually any animal story. They are just such innocent creatures, and I know how much we love and cherish them. It's not just movies, either. I read Steinbeck's The Red Pony and cried so much the words all blurred on the page and I had to take breaks.

Super Contributor

Re: What show/movie would you say made you cry the most? Or at least upset you the most?

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  The first one that comes to mind is the documentary, My Octopus Teacher. Filmmaker Craig Foster has a friendship with an octopus, and when she is in danger, doesn't want to interfere. Well, he already interfered by somewhat taming her and making her vulnerable! The octopus life span is very short and it's sad, but they are fascinating. Love them

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hachi-A Dog's Tale.  Based on a true story.

The Pianist-the story of the Jewish Polish musician Wladyslaw Szpilman during the Holocaust.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Almost any movie involving an animal dying just makes me cry.  I'm a lover of Labrador Retrievers so the movie Marley & Me really had me in tears.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Hachi-A Dog's Tale.  Based on a true story.

The Pianist-the story of the Jewish Polish musician Wladyslaw Szpilman during the Holocaust.

@Cakers3  I decided not to watch Hachi-A Dog's Tale as I knew it would upset me terribly. 

Respected Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

A River Runs Through It

Out of Africa

Out of Africa is one of my favorite movies ever. Had it on VHS, back when I had a VCR, and watched it several times. That music is beautiful, and I'm sure I shed a few tears. Such a beautifully shot movie.

Honored Contributor

I was little when I saw Old Yeller.  I have never talked to anyone else who as a child saw that piece of child abuse who didn't think they shot the dog and that was the end of the movie.  

Adults who saw it seem to believe there was more to the movie, but none of those who saw it as kids that I've questioned have any memory of that.

Since I grew up, movies are movies and not life, so I don't cry at them now. There's too much in life to cry about. 

Valued Contributor

I agree with so many films mentioned.

The original Cheaper by the Dozen always makes me cry.  Mr Hollands Opus is another that makes me cry in a couple of spots.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  "The Passion of the Christ" Nothing even close!

Honored Contributor

I just flat can't watch anything where bad stuff happens to animals, so I have seen any of those.

I also have never seen Schindler's List and just now found some airings on tv and am recording one for tomorrow am.   I need to see this movie and I know it will be horrific.  Maybe everybody, at least those who have the ability to empathize for others, needs to see this movie.

One movie that gets me every time is the end of West Side Story when Natalie Wood (always loved her!!) does this soliloquy that just breaks me every time.

The Exorcist FREAKED me out for a long time.   I mean, it really freaked me out to the extent that I was scared to even go to bed at night.  I have another one, but it's about religion and I'm pretty sure  nobody here wants to hear my feelings there.