Trusted Contributor

What's the point of cutting cable then?

I've finally had it with cable price increases and decided it's time to cut cable.

BUT - if I strip cable and keep wifi only, then add a streaming package that offers local channels, the price of wifi plus streaming equals what I'm already paying for cable.  And that's at an introductory rate, both will go up higher in three months.

I thought cutting cable was such a huge cost savings? 

Honored Contributor

Re: What's the point of cutting cable then?

That's why I stayed with Directv satellite. I just call them once yearly when they raise my rates so that way they give me a better price. It's more like I threaten to leave them and usually that works to get them to give me a lower rate. 

Honored Contributor

That's why I stay with Spectrum.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter @Same. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  I do the same thing at Direct TV.  Call every year, end up with Retention Department and pay the same as I have been paying.  Just got my bill and it included a $42 credit to adjust my bill.  I'm not going to streaming, don't watch TV except rarely. I do watch the QVC shows when it is a vendor that I buy like Graver, Mizrahi, Belle, D&C and VPH. Otherwise I just Reently on Air.

I am a reader and spend my TV time reading instead.  I used to like many programs on TV but nothing much that is on interests me now.

DH watchs sports, PBS, RFD and nature shows and news.  That is it for TV at our house.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@deepwaterdotter @Same. 

Me too. 

Honored Contributor

And that is why many of us keep cable.  There's no $$ benefit in dropping it.

Honored Contributor

DH and I go in to Cox each year and tell them the same thing -- we're retired and on a fixed income. This is true.

It works every time. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I cut the cable (but kept the internet), I purchased a fairly inexpensive ($30 or so) antenna that I could place on the wall/window.  That way, I get the local stations without needing to stream them.  I am able to get quite a few channels, including QVC and HSN using the antenna.  

But, I also signed up for Sling Blue.  That costs $35 a month, and I am able to watch channels like HGTV, etc.  I already had Netflix and Amazon Prime, so that didn't increase my bill.  There is another Sling -- Orange that includes sports.  You can have both, but I didn't want to spend the $$.

Anyway, even with paying $35 a month, the price is less than what I was paying for cable. 

I already had Roku, but if you do not have that or a similar device, you would need to purchase one to use Sling.  There are quite a few free streaming services on Roku, and I am also able to stream some things from the library using that method.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think you're right - streaming packages have become almost as expensive as cable. It didn't used to be that way. Part of the phenomenon is that, as streaming became more popular, cable companies started charging more for internet and less for cable TV.

Today, to really save, you have to cut cable AND streaming packages (or find an inexpensive streamer).  Then get an antenna - if reception is okay in your area.