Honored Contributor

Re: What's the point of cutting cable then?

[ Edited ]

@PilatesLover  "the major cable companies are phasing out cable and no longer offering it to new customers. If you're a current cable customer, you're grandfathered in. "

This is true w/Verizon FIOS in my area.  When I cut the cord, I was at the end of my 2 yr contract w/FIOS.  I was already getting free internet & free phone (landline) because I was a customer of good standing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, around that time, Verizon hooked up w/Google for YOUTUBE TV.  In my area, this is what they are offering now instead of their cable TV packages.  The price was still the same as getting YOUTUBE TV off of its own website. 

So instead of getting multiple bills from YTTV & FIOS, I get 1 bill a month from Verizon FIOS which covers YTTV.   I still get FREE internet & landline (grandfathered in).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover 

Thats why many of us have kept cable ----I love NFL football and NBA Spurs----I did a comparison and to get live sports and other channels, then unbundling for internet cost me more than what I paid for bundled discount.....

Some live sports are restricted and I would not be able to watch Spurs games because Ballysports/Spurs have an exclusive contract with cable .....And using a CUT THE CORD Tool it would have ended up costing me $35 more per month when everything was said and done to add all the streaming channels to get my favorites.....And streaming channels have started to go up and up.....

And in some areas streaming services arent taxed thats where youmight save a few bucks, but some states have started charging taxes and fees the same as cable....

Im sticking with cable.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@PilatesLover   I have Verizon FIOS.  I cut cable TV & jumped on YouTube TV which FIOS offers, kept my internet which was free as well as my landline phone.  All I pay now is $64.00/month for basic which included more channels than what FIOS cable was offering. 

I DO NOT pay for "streaming apps."  I'll only do "pay" streaming apps when they go on trial. 

FWIW:  You can keep your internet.  Wifi is FREE in most parts of the country.  WiFi is also slower than the internet that you get through the ethernet.  Do you live in a place where they charge for WiFi?

@Mz iMac 

My sister switched to You Tube TV---she cant watch NBA Spurs games and she doesnt have some of the live TV Shows and other channels I have with cable.....she doesnt even have Q2.....Yep she pays less than Spectrum but also has less too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Just last month I dropped Spectrum's cable TV.  I kept the internet and phone with them.  Our overall bill had gone up to $265 a month.  Of that $170 was for the TV.

We had two DVRs so that made up part of the cost, but we wanted to be able to record shows and watch them later (skipping the commercials, of course!).

I did chat with them before making a decision and the only incentive they could offer to stay with them would've saved me $14 a month!  I just laughed and said "Oh right - a couple of cups of coffee!"  The agent agreed with me.  Didn't matter that we're on a fixed income.

Spectrum's streaming service offers were pathetic compared to other companies, so we went with FuboTV.  That's costing us around $74 (taxes incl.) and my DH gets the sports channels he wants and we get everything else we wanted.  So we're saving about $100 a month.  Plus we can record anything to the Cloud.

It took a lot for me to drop cable, but when the bill shot up so much in one month, that was the push I needed.  I got the impression they're not interested in keeping TV customers - if they were, they'd offer more competitive packages.

We're very happy with their internet and phone service (after years of lousy service from our former provider) and their customer service has been excellent in our experience, so we'll stay with them for that.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt  I remember you mentioning before about your sister unable to watch Spur games on YouTube tv.   According to the following she should be able to watch at least on other channels YouTube offers.......

How to Watch the San Antonio Spurs on YouTube TV

Most of us are familiar with YouTube as an on-demand video platform. With YouTube TV, you have a few channel options to stream a Spurs game live.

YouTube TV comes with 85+ channels in the basic package. Unfortunately, Bally Sports Southwest, Bally Sports Oklahoma, and AT&T SportsNet Southwest are unavailable with this service. 

Regional channels aside, YouTube is a good option for watching the Spurs national broadcasts. You’ll get ABC, ESPN, and even NBA TV without any extra fees.

YouTube TV’s Cloud DVR feature is exceptional, offering users unlimited cloud video storage that’s included in subscriptions. This service also allows 3 people to stream content at the same time with one account.

SOURCE:  cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-the-san-antonio-spurs/

Spurs schedule for YouTube TV link

thestreamable.com/sports/nba/san-antonio-spurs

I have basic package w/YTTV.  I have more channels than I had w/FIOS cable.  I get all the "live" channels.  Strange your sister does not.  Must be regional.  I am in the N/E-South Joisey (Comcast & Verizon FIOS land).

What part of the country does your sister live in?

EDIT:  I forgot to meniton that a cable tech told me that w/the larger streaming services - YTTV, HULU, etc the stations that you get & do not get depends on your "zip code."  Which makes sense because the township next to my township cannot get YTTV bundled w/Verizon FIOS **yet.**

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I use the Philo streaming service. $25 a month and has just about all the channels I'm interested in. For me, aside from internet service, a cell phone, an antenna, a firestick and Philo meets my needs perfectly. 

I was recently researching cutting the cable cord for my mother, who's Spectrum bill has reached almost $300 a month. From what I've gathered, at this point in time, the major cable companies are phasing out cable and no longer offering it to new customers. If you're a current cable customer, you're grandfathered in. If you cut the cord and change your mind and want cable back, you can't.  The major cable companies aren't even showing cable packages on their website, you have to "call them", at least in our service area.

This is true of AT&T.  I've already been told my Uverse is will eventually be discontinued, replaced by DirecTV streaming.  It's a technology thing, I knew they bought DirecTV for a reason, for the technology.   

Not sure this has ever been mentioned but there is an Affordable Connectivity Program through the FCC to help pay your internet bill.  fcc dot gov/acp is the address.  There are qualifications, I met the qualifications and I never meet any government qualifications!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Spurt  I remember you mentioning before about your sister unable to watch Spur games on YouTube tv.   According to the following she should be able to watch at least on other channels YouTube offers.......

How to Watch the San Antonio Spurs on YouTube TV

Most of us are familiar with YouTube as an on-demand video platform. With YouTube TV, you have a few channel options to stream a Spurs game live.

YouTube TV comes with 85+ channels in the basic package. Unfortunately, Bally Sports Southwest, Bally Sports Oklahoma, and AT&T SportsNet Southwest are unavailable with this service. 

Regional channels aside, YouTube is a good option for watching the Spurs national broadcasts. You’ll get ABC, ESPN, and even NBA TV without any extra fees.

YouTube TV’s Cloud DVR feature is exceptional, offering users unlimited cloud video storage that’s included in subscriptions. This service also allows 3 people to stream content at the same time with one account.

SOURCE:  cordcuttersnews.com/how-to-watch-the-san-antonio-spurs/

@Mz iMac 

I appreciate you taking the time to post all the info.

She can watch NATIONAL Spurs games broadcast on ABC, ESPN, TNT but since our team is small market and the team is rebuilding and not a playoff contender, we dont get national attention anymore---that's out.

What happened is like many she cut the cable cord, she used to get the Spurs on Fox Sports 1 on You Tube TV, however, Ballysports (the same folks that run sports betting in Vegas started a sports channel to enhance their sports betting business) and they got an exclusive contract with several NBA teams including the Spurs and Mavs.  You Tube wanted people to pay extra for BallySports, but not enough subscribers signed up to cover their cost so You Tube decided not to offer Ballysports Southwest ---PEOPLE WERE FURIOUS and said if they had known that they wouldve stayed with cable and didnt like how You Tube pulled the rug out from under them.....She and others all live in San Antonio (so Ballysports Southwest Channel is the ONLY way to see games unless you go to a sports bar).  She can come to my house to watch but  she soesnt want to do that for 82 games, and some games start late 9:30PM Central which is our time if they are playing a west coast team ---7:30 PM Pacific time for them.

See the disclaimer in your post---this is what she's dealing with---Unfortunately, Bally Sports Southwest, Bally Sports Oklahoma, and AT&T SportsNet Southwest are unavailable with this service. 

And only if you live out of the Ballysports Southwest area are you eligble to watch Spur's games on NBA League Pass for $9.99 a month. And she is NOT going to pay $89 to get Direct TV Stream, which is the only one that broadcasts Ballysports Southwest. -----You Tube TV and Cable is cheaper than that!!! 

This is the dilemma of cutting the cord and sports fans.  The NFL is starting to do the same thing with Thursday games ONLY on Amazon Prime ......

Honored Contributor

I cut the cord with cable because it was very expensive, all in all I rather have cable.  I really can't factor in the cost of Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBOMAX because I was getting those anyway. I am now getting HULU LIVE which costs $70. If I was getting cable renting two boxes, multi room DVR, and the cable package I would want it would cost me more than $70. 

Contributor

I have heard others say that when you add up all the streaming services etc that you want, since you still need wifi you can end up paying close to what you were paying with having cable. We have cable and I like it and wont change.