Honored Contributor

Re: What's the point of cutting cable then?

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think you're right - streaming packages have become almost as expensive as cable. It didn't used to be that way. Part of the phenomenon is that, as streaming became more popular, cable companies started charging more for internet and less for cable TV.

Today, to really save, you have to cut cable AND streaming packages (or find an inexpensive streamer).  Then get an antenna - if reception is okay in your area.

@ValuSkr   My streaming service costs me $69/mo.  Can you get cable or satellite for that?  I have 2 interior antennas that cost me $12. each on which I get about 50 local stations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I dropped cable 3 years ago. DirectTV was going to raise my rates $65 a month and no negotiation. That would have taken me to around $265 a month for horribly slow internet and cable with over 65 channels of informercials, a ton of music channels, childrens or religion programming none of which I watched or need.  By going to Hulu live at $70 and Cox internet and dropping my land line I'm paying less for more. I also watch Pluto and Roku for free. My internet is more reliable and much faster and I have more programming than I could ever watch. 

@Meowingkitty 

This definitely varies by area.  Our internet was much worse when we had Cox.  So your solution wouldn't work for us.  That's the problem with all of this - it's all so individual with no easy answers that work for all of us.  And it's such a pain to try to figure it all out.  That's why we stay with our AT&T bundle. It's AT&T fiber optic internet and Direct TV. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

DH and I go in to Cox each year and tell them the same thing -- we're retired and on a fixed income. This is true.

It works every time. 

@OKPrincess 

I have Cox too and they are the worst at customer service.  I have to argue with them every year when they pull their stunts with pricing.   But this one has me so angry.  I pay my bills on time every month.  They claim my last payment was not received and I'm getting emails and calls.  I checked with my bank and my check cleared.  I called Cox and got a very rude person.  He basically was condescending and treated me like I was a criminal.   I was in tears after that call.  The bank is sending me a copy of my electronic check info that shows it came from them and cleared.   Luckily after work I got a hold of a very nice woman there who took my info and did what the guy was supposed to do!  

She was one of the few nice and helpful people I've ever got at Cox to resolve an issue.   I wish I knew how to do all that streaming and know how to get the channels I want, I'd do it.   But, the cable companies have us roped in because like others are saying here, we don't have a lot of alternatives to save money and get the most out of what we pay for.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

I think you're right - streaming packages have become almost as expensive as cable. It didn't used to be that way. Part of the phenomenon is that, as streaming became more popular, cable companies started charging more for internet and less for cable TV.

Today, to really save, you have to cut cable AND streaming packages (or find an inexpensive streamer).  Then get an antenna - if reception is okay in your area.

@ValuSkr   My streaming service costs me $69/mo.  Can you get cable or satellite for that?  I have 2 interior antennas that cost me $12. each on which I get about 50 local stations.

@Kachina624   I also use an antenna, but have no streaming services other than free channels on Roku.  I cut the cable long ago, so can't answer your question directly.  My main experience with cable these days is wth my elderly parents, who have a bundle wih Spectrum and pay about $200 / month.  I don't know how that $200 breaks down to cable, internet, and phone but would guess $100 is cable.  So there would be a savings relative to what you're paying for streaming services, perhaps more modest than in the early days of streaming..

Trusted Contributor

We tried the antenna. My husband farted and finagled around with it all over the house and we can't pick anything up.

I'm jealous of those of you who have Fios!  I've called Verizon a few times and they told me they can't put it in my area yet. I'm stuck with two options for internet - Breezeline, which is always dropping off and has HORRIBLE customer service - or XFinity. XFinity is very expensive.

So frustrating! 

Honored Contributor

I dropped cable and went to satellite 10 years ago and have never regretted it.

Satellite is expensive but the one I have is open to special discounts - you just have to ask. I have a basic plan, no extras, with a second box in the bedroom and get a total of $50 off my monthly bill. I just have to call them once a year to get it reinstated. It costs a lot less than the same package with cable.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

I've finally had it with cable price increases and decided it's time to cut cable.

BUT - if I strip cable and keep wifi only, then add a streaming package that offers local channels, the price of wifi plus streaming equals what I'm already paying for cable.  And that's at an introductory rate, both will go up higher in three months.

I thought cutting cable was such a huge cost savings? 

We've wanted to cut the cord for years but our heads go round and round with the same questions.  Our cable is also our internet so if we dropped cable, our internet alone will go thru the roof.  Then pick and choose streaming....cha ching when it's all added up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We got rid of Optimum when the bill went to $257.00 in April.

I know it's not available every where but we have Verizon Fios for the internet and our house phone, $65.00 a month and we subscribe to YoutubeTV for another $65.00 month.

We use our own router and have the lowest internet speed which is 300Mbps.  It only the two of us and it's been fine even with two televisions, a tablet and PC all in use at the same time..

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the Philo streaming service. $25 a month and has just about all the channels I'm interested in. For me, aside from internet service, a cell phone, an antenna, a firestick and Philo meets my needs perfectly. 

I was recently researching cutting the cable cord for my mother, who's Spectrum bill has reached almost $300 a month. From what I've gathered, at this point in time, the major cable companies are phasing out cable and no longer offering it to new customers. If you're a current cable customer, you're grandfathered in. If you cut the cord and change your mind and want cable back, you can't.  The major cable companies aren't even showing cable packages on their website, you have to "call them", at least in our service area.

Trusted Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I use the Philo streaming service. $25 a month and has just about all the channels I'm interested in. For me, aside from internet service, a cell phone, an antenna, a firestick and Philo meets my needs perfectly. 

I was recently researching cutting the cable cord for my mother, who's Spectrum bill has reached almost $300 a month. From what I've gathered, at this point in time, the major cable companies are phasing out cable and no longer offering it to new customers. If you're a current cable customer, you're grandfathered in. If you cut the cord and change your mind and want cable back, you can't.  The major cable companies aren't even showing cable packages on their website site, you have to "call them", at least in our service area.

Whoa, that's an interesting thing to know/consider. Thanks.