Honored Contributor

Re: What's the point of cutting cable then?

That's why I'm staying with Astound/RCN.  Plus the hassle of having different streaming services to get what I get in one place with cable.

Respected Contributor

We're going to ditch Directv after 18 years. Tired of having to call them and jump thru hoops to get a decent discount. We've only kept them this long because of the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Plus, there are no newly released movies on Directv unless the movie was a box office dud.

But as others have mentioned, streaming services are pricing themselves out of the market. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

That's why I'm staying with Astound/RCN.  Plus the hassle of having different streaming services to get what I get in one place with cable.

@kaydee50 

I've heard that people are already complaining about that. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's why I stayed with Directv satellite. I just call them once yearly when they raise my rates so that way they give me a better price. It's more like I threaten to leave them and usually that works to get them to give me a lower rate. 

@SilleeMee  I bet you DREAD that call every year.  I dropped Sirium XM for just that reason...I got tired of making that yearly phone call to get a better price....it is a game!😡

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's why I stayed with Directv satellite. I just call them once yearly when they raise my rates so that way they give me a better price. It's more like I threaten to leave them and usually that works to get them to give me a lower rate. 

@SilleeMee  I bet you DREAD that call every year.  I dropped Sirium XM for just that reason...I got tired of making that yearly phone call to get a better price....it is a game!😡

@SeaMaiden 

It is a game! You got that right. Like a broken record every stinkin' year.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover   I have Verizon FIOS.  I cut cable TV & jumped on YouTube TV which FIOS offers, kept my internet which was free as well as my landline phone.  All I pay now is $64.00/month for basic which included more channels than what FIOS cable was offering. 

I DO NOT pay for "streaming apps."  I'll only do "pay" streaming apps when they go on trial. 

FWIW:  You can keep your internet.  Wifi is FREE in most parts of the country.  WiFi is also slower than the internet that you get through the ethernet.  Do you live in a place where they charge for WiFi?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

That's why I stay with Spectrum.

I wanted to cancel cable but realized there are different shows on different streaming services, by the time you figure what shows are on what services it can add up. I am still with SpectrumSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We can't deal with sorting through streaming offers and options. Not going to unless we absolutely positively have to.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We can't deal with sorting through streaming offers and options. Not going to unless we absolutely positively have to.

Good point

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I dropped cable 3 years ago. DirectTV was going to raise my rates $65 a month and no negotiation. That would have taken me to around $265 a month for horribly slow internet and cable with over 65 channels of informercials, a ton of music channels, childrens or religion programming none of which I watched or need.  By going to Hulu live at $70 and Cox internet and dropping my land line I'm paying less for more. I also watch Pluto and Roku for free. My internet is more reliable and much faster and I have more programming than I could ever watch.