Super Contributor

On one of the insurance company's commercials (Allstate I think it is) - she's singing, I think, in French.  Don't know what she is singing about, but I like it.

Trusted Contributor

Answer: That is "Non, je ne regrette rien," by Edith Piaf. Also known as the "little sparrow," Piaf (1915-63) became legendary for her passionate performances of songs such as "La Vie En Rose" and the song you asked about, whose title can be translated as "No, I regret nothing." In addition to commercials, her songs have been used in hundreds of movies and TV shows. In "A Star Is Born," Lady Gaga pays tribute to Piaf by singing "La Vie en Rose." Marion Cotillard won the best-actress Oscar for playing Piaf in the 2007 movie "La Vie en Rose."

Honored Contributor

Dove Chocolate used that song in their commercial, too.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Arrw/dove-chocolate-each-and-every-day-song-by-edith-piaf

Super Contributor

@KLevineFan  Thank you so much for the information.  I've been wondering who I could ask and thought of this forum, which always has the answers, no matter what the subject.  Who needs Google when you can get all the information here???

Trusted Contributor
Non, rien de rienNo, absolutely nothing
Non, je ne regrette rienNo, I regret nothing

Ni le bien qu'on m'a faitNot the good things that have happened
Ni le mal, tout ça m'est bien égalNor the bad, it's all the same to me

Non, rien de rienNo, absolutely nothing
Non, je ne regrette rienNo, I regret nothing

C'est payé, balayé, oubliéIt's paid, swept away, forgotten
Je m'en fou de passéI don't care about the past!

Avec mes souvenirsI set fire
J'ai allumé le feuTo my memories

Mes chagrins, mes plaisirsMy troubles, my pleasures
Je n'ai plus besoin d'euxI don't need them anymore

Balayé les amoursI've swept away past loves
Avec leur trémolosWith their trembling
Esteemed Contributor

I also LOVE that song - I absolutely stop in my tracks when it comes on.  Kind of a rich soothing eloquent pause in life.

Does she have any CD's available out in the marketplace?

Honored Contributor

image.png

Piaf has often been compared to Judy Garland.  A few similarities in their bios.

There are several CDs available on Amazon.  I'd start there.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I guess I’m in the minority. I don’t like the song or the voice singing it. I remember it from the Dove commercial, and recognized it immediately in the new insurance ad. 

Honored Contributor

@appm wrote:

On one of the insurance company's commercials (Allstate I think it is) - she's singing, I think, in French.  Don't know what she is singing about, but I like it.

IMO, you have a good ear and lovely taste is th the light music of the '30s and '40s. Congrats!

Honored Contributor

When I first heard the song I thought it was sung by Josaphine Baker. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif