Respected Contributor

What on Earth? House Hunters

I haven't seen it in a while but put it on tonight.  What the heck is that synthetic voice that says things like "patio",  "Jeff walks thru kitchen" and weird things like that?

It is crazy and so annoying.   And they still have the regular narrator.  + this strange artificial voice.

Respected Contributor

Re: What on Earth? House Hunters

I haven't seen it for awhile either - I'll check it out.

What I'd like to know is what happened to all the beach shows on Sunday night?  I really miss them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bridgegal  - I saw House Hunters last night and don't know what that strange voice was about, definitely annoying.  There were lots of negative comments on HH Facebook page also.  I watch HH almost every night, so I hope they discontinue it.

@FranandZoe - I miss those beach shows on Sunday nights too. Wish they would bring them back.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal @twinsister @FranandZoe 

Suzanne Whang, the long-time narrator, died September 2019 - so a new voice will now be doing that.

She was only 57 and died of breast cancer - 

Honored Contributor

I haven’t watched a U.S. House Hunters in years. Too much the same over and over. I lost interest when it was released that the show was scripted. The houses selected aren’t even houses the clients would have looked at, but are added to make the show more “interesting”. Guess I was dumb to think it was more real than that. 

I also got tired of young buyers wanting the best of everything in a first home and their nasty comments about the homes they toured. It used to be you bought a starter home & worked up to a “better” home. Not for these people. I also thought it was unrealistic that a lot of times the woman pressured the man into buying the most expensive house even if it was way over budget. Really? 

I admit to occasionally watching a House Hunters International. More interesting to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@coco14  - I know that Suzanne Whang passed away.  HGTV should replace her with someone else and not a computer voice. It was very strange.

Valued Contributor

I didn't watch last night but wonder if something happened with closed captioning feature or something like that. I was watching tv one night, and had comments during the programming like "he walks thru the living room to the bedroom" "footsteps in the hallway". It was describing EVERYTHING that was going on. It was actually my tv that has a feature you can enable and my guess it's for blind people. I was able to get it turned off, but wonder if it had something to do with the network?? 

cookin

Frequent Contributor

I just happened to watch House Hunters last night for the first time in a long time.  I thought the strange voice was..just that, strange.  I really used to enjoy that show but I don't think I can watch it with the synthetic voice making comments.  Surely they could come up with something better than that.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, it sounded like the closed captioning wasn't closed. Lol. Anyway I watch House Hunters often and have never seen that happen before. I think it was a glitch.

Honored Contributor

@wilma  The show has always been scripted. Years ago I followed some of the actual house hunters and they all told the same thing about the scripting. Sometimes they would show the realtors own house as one of the choices.