Honored Contributor

Re: What movie scene always makes you tear up?

@Desert Lily wrote:

I tear up when I watch Stella Dallas looking through the window from outside to see the daughter she gave up getting married.

As a kid, I watched a movie called All Mine to Give. The parents died, and the oldest boy pulls his siblings on a sled in the snow to drop them off at other families' homes so they could be taken care of there. I never watch it when I see it's scheduled to come on; too sad.

I think Ann Margaret did one on that line too.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes to The Way We Were. Also Bridges of Madison County when her hand was on the handle of the door ready to jump out.

@proudlyfromNJ ....I agree.  This movie was just on HBO this morning (and has been for several days) and I always cry when at the end, Meryl Streep received Robert's things from the lawyers and she is reading the letter and placing his bracelet on her wrist and taking the necklace she gave him from the envelope he kept all those years.  She is crying the whole time and I am crying right along with her.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My all time tear jerker...An Affair To Remember!!  That last scene in her apartment is just so emotional.  He realizes that she had been crippled and that is why she did not show up to the Empire State Building. 

And, Bridges of Madison County...again those last scenes are so sad!!  You know that she really wanted to run away from  home with the photographer.

And,  the last scene in White Christmas - Bing saves the day for his military boss.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't have one specific but anything with a dog that dies I just can't handle. Kill all the people off I'm good but kill the dog and I'm balling. Ok that's an exaggeration but I'm sure some poeple can relate. 

@Lali1: I can relate. Don't like to see any animal in peril, mistreated or dying. Dogs, especially, have a very special place in my heart.  

Honored Contributor

Castaway, when Wilson floats away.

Esteemed Contributor

The Way We Were when Barbara S. meets Robert R. 

in the front of the hotel in NY at the end of the movie...and they are both living different lives but you can tell they still love eachother deeply.........................

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few immediately come to mind:

Old Yeller, for sure. Even now, if I'm channel surfing, and land on what I recognize as that movie, I get outta there ASAP.

-Imitation of Life, two scenes. The first, when the mother found her daughter (who'd been "passing" as white), who'd left home. The mom sensed that her daughter didn't want her roommate to know that she was her mother, so she said that she used to "take care of her" when she was young. On leaving, the mom said goodbye to her daughter, they embraced, and the daughter said "goodbye...Mama"--"Mama" whispered in her ear so the roommate wouldn't hear.

The second, was when that mother died, and the sobbing daughter crashed the funeral procession, trying to get into the hearse, screaming over and over "She's my mother!" 

-Back Street, final scene. Susan Hayward's character, "Rae," is sitting alone, mourning the death of her married lover, who'd died, along with his wife, when his angry wife crashed their car. Their two young children, now orphans, show up and the little boy (who'd  had harsh words for Rae when he learned of the affair) now asks Rae if she'd mind if he and his little sister visited her occasionally. A surprised Rae embraces both of them.

-White Fang, when Ethan Hawke's character tries to get his wolf-dog to leave, and he finally succeeds when he raises a stick to him.  The final scene is also a tear-jerker, but a happy one. White Fang returns to see his master working on the roof, and they both run to each other.

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've cried at most of the movies mentioned above. I can't watch them anymore because I was able to take that kind of pain when I was younger and my mom was alive, but not anymore. 

However, last night I watched Stand By Me for probably the hundredth time. It's one of my all-time favorites, and the beginning and the ending get me in the heart every time. Richard Dreyfuss reading the newspaper article about the death of his best friend at the beginning, and again at the end. It just breaks my heart. 

No more sad movies!! 

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I know it's silly, but one of my adolescent favourites was The Trouble with Angels. The scene when Sister Lugouri (Marge Redmond) has died, and the Reverand Mother (Rosalind Russell) falls apart in the chapel, with the teenager Mary (Hayley Mills) watching as the nun grieves for her friend. It gets me every time. Then shortly after, Mary has had a fight with her best friend Rachel (June Harding), and she goes to the train station to make up before the girls are separated forever. I'm a virtual Pavlov's dog when it comes the ending scenes of this film. But I cry at the end of the Taylor version of Cleopatra, when she dies. 

Frankly, many films get the waterworks from me.

Trusted Contributor

The Way they were with Robert Redford as I always liked him.  I can feel the heartbreak losing that guy.  Also, Imitation of Life with Lana Turner and the funeral for her friend was so moving when the daughter returned and her mother had passed.  It was very sad.