Honored Contributor

Re: What movie scene always makes you tear up?

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't have one specific but anything with a dog that dies I just can't handle. Kill all the people off I'm good but kill the dog and I'm balling. Ok that's an exaggeration but I'm sure some poeple can relate. 

Oh me, I'm raising my hand to that.  I totally relate.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

Not sure if it qualifies as a "movie", but when "Frosty the Snowman" melts in front of Karen, I just lose it every single time, even though I know Frosty is going to be brought back to life by Santa!  

Years ago, I caught the last 20 minutes of the movie "The Champ", and even though I didn't know much about the movie, seeing a young Ricky Schroeder cry out, "Wake him up!  Wake him up" over the body of his father who died during a boxing match,  made me cry.  I am quite sure it would have the same effect on me now.

Finally, there is "Imitation of Life", a very old movie with Sandra Dee.  When their maid dies and has a magnificent funeral, the maid's daughter, who had rejected and refused to acknowledge her mother for several years, races through the crowd at her mom's funeral procession, cries hysterically and yells out, "That's my mother!"  

Oh yes!!! Imitation of Life, every single time.  It zings me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One other one, I think it's called Missing with Jed Hirsch.  The little boy was kidnapped and Hirsch was the cop that got him back to his mother.  It just kills me at the end of it when they run to each other.  I may have Hirsch's name wrong.

Ok I searched and found it.  "Without a Trace"  Judd Hirsch.  (Well, I was close). LOL

Honored Contributor

Travone,

You aren't strange at all.  I understand why that would make you cry.  Movies which aren't meant to be tear jerkers can evoke sadness also.

I saw Midnight Cowboy twice in the movies when it came out.  It is one of my favorites.  I love social issue movies and this one surely was dark and did not bring out the best in people.  However, Dustin Hoffman played his character, Ratso Ritzzo, so well I sympathized with him throughout the movie.  At the end I cried, still do, when he and Jon Voight are headed for Florida.  

Honored Contributor

ITA about 'Days of Wine and Roses', one of the best pics.

But also, what immediately comes to mind for me is the final scene in 'West Side Story' where Natalie Wood's character does that soliloquy as she sits on the ground with Tony's body.  Smiley Sad    It breaks my heart all over again each time I see it.

Valued Contributor

@DancinQueen wrote:

So enjoyed reading the comments in Jackhound Moms's post re: what movie part always makes you smile, so wanted to hear what always makes you cry no matter how often you watched. 

My choked-up, tear-filled moment is from "The Way We Were", when Barbara Streisand runs into Robert Redford years after their divorce....just when she reaches up and brushes his hair off his forehead.....TEAR JERKER everytime for me.  Yours?

The notebook & Where the Red Fern Grows...gets me every time 😭

Esteemed Contributor

@DancinQueen  The Yearling. I cried through most of the movie. And, @cbrite  The Passion of The Christ. I watched it in theater when it first came out, and I have not been able to watch it again. It's just too difficult to watch without completely breaking down.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

I don't have one specific but anything with a dog that dies I just can't handle. Kill all the people off I'm good but kill the dog and I'm balling. Ok that's an exaggeration but I'm sure some poeple can relate. 

@Lali1 

I can't take it when animals get killed or die in shows. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he was trying to tell me about a movie where it's the viewpoint of a dog that lives with a family, the minute he said it was sort of sad, I was like. NO.NO.NO... stop talking I don't want to hear anymore and I will not be watching. 

Honored Contributor

The Bad News Bears

Dumbo

Valued Contributor

The last conversation between Brian Piccolo (James Caan) and Gayle Sayers(Billy Dee Williams) in Brian's Song always chokes me up.