Regular Contributor

What movie scene always makes you tear up?

[ Edited ]

So enjoyed reading the comments in Jackhound Moms's post re: what movie part always makes you smile, so wanted to hear what always makes you cry no matter how often you watched. 

My choked-up, tear-filled moment is from "The Way We Were", when Barbara Streisand runs into Robert Redford years after their divorce....just when she reaches up and brushes his hair off his forehead.....TEAR JERKER everytime for me.  Yours?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: What movie scene always makes you tear up?

It will sound silly, but here goes:

"The Rare Breed" with Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith.  I cry when they find the bull.  I cry harder when they find the calf.

(Your scene from "The Way We Were" is a close second!)

Denise
Honored Contributor

that scene in THE WAY WE WERE for sure!

also.....

the scene where gayle sayers is giving his "man of courage" speech and acknowledges his good friend brian piccolo who is laying in a hospital bed dying. - BRIANS SONG

"...He has the heart of a giant and that rare form of courage that allows him to kid himself and his opponent- cancer. He has the mental attitude that makes me proud to have a friend who spells out the word 'courage' twenty-four hours a day, every day of his life. You flatter me by giving me this award, but I tell you that I accept it for Brian Piccolo. It is mine tonight, it is Brian Piccolo's tomorrow... I love Brian Piccolo, and I'd like all of you to love him too. Tonight, when you hit your knees, please ask God to love him."

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechbrianssong2.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My all time tear- jerkers are Susan Hayward's (Barbara Graham) climactic gas chamber seen in "I Want To Live", and Robbie Benson's (Billie Joe Mcallister) tearful, gut-wrenching "confession"  to Bobbie Lee (Glynnis O'Connor) in "Ode To Billie Joe". I had the biggest crush on him after seeing that movie, and go through at least half a box of Kleenex Puffs each time I watch them.😊

Edited to reflect the gracious correction by proudlyfromNJ

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Regular Contributor

@sunshine45    GOOD ONE!

Honored Contributor

Yes to The Way We Were. Also Bridges of Madison County when her hand was on the handle of the door ready to jump out.

Esteemed Contributor

Dr. Zhivago. Near the end of the movie as Zhivago rides a trolley, he thinks he spots Lara walking on the street.

Zhivago is weak and in failing health after years on the Russian front. He exits the trolley and tries to call out to Lara. He has a heart attack in the street and he is very aware he's dying.

Lara never hears him and continues on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have two:

Steel Magolias when Shelby is on life support and her mother never leaves her side.  Then when they take her off the machines, her husband and father leave the room but her mother is still there.  Being challenged with health issues, I know that would be my mother if that were me.  That thought is what makes me tear uo every time I watch that movie.

Also, in "A League of Their Own,", when the war department comes to the ballpark to tell "Betty Spaghetti' that her husband was killed in war.  Tom Hanks takes the announcement and breaks it to her himself.  Brings perspective that these women are keeping baseball alive but there is still a war going on at the same time.

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Esteemed Contributor

An Affair to Remember at the end when Cary Grant goes to Debra Kerr's apartment, finds the painting and realizes she is paralized.  Tearing up as I type this.  

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

My all time tear- jerkers are Rita Hayworth's (Barbara Graham) climactic gas chamber seen in "I Want To Live", and Robbie Benson's (Billie Joe Mcallister) tearful, gut-wrenching "confession"  to Bobbie Lee (Glynnis O'Connor) in "Ode To Billie Joe". I had the biggest crush on him after seeing that movie, and go through at least half a box of Kleenex Puffs each time I watch them.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles  I thought that was Susan Hayward in I Want to Live.