@Jackhound Mom

Far Side

Oh, yeah... Alien...

That's great!  I love it Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: What is the most frightning movie?

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

This is a really interesting thread. Let's see.  I found "The Shining" to be very scary, especially when you didn't know what that sweet little boy riding his trike down the halls of the "empty" hotel would encounter next-- would there be more brief, slashing images of horrific things?  Combine that with the creepy, deeply unsettling notion that the danger lurked within the little family itself...

"The Silence of the Lambs" was at its most frightening for me during the scenes between Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster while he was behind bars, ironically.  Even though he was "contained",  the genius of Anthony Hopkins was that you felt that the evil he represented was almost un-restrainable, if that makes sense...

"Wait Until Dark" was very scary b/c of the blindness and vulnerablity of the Audrey Hepburn character-- she had only her sharp wits as defense against the amorphous bad things surrounding her.  And brilliant Alan Arkin was a chilling, unpredictable villain capable of playing mind games with his victims.  That was deeply disturbing... A lot of the fear in that movie stemmed from Arkin's diabolical performance, and not necessarily from the actual violence (although that was bad enough) that occurred.

There are more, but those three come to mind.

@Oznell  You really picked some good ones....

I saw "The Shining" and was so intrigued I read the book.  The music and images from the film played in my head while I was reading the book and the combination was unforgettable....the book was considerably more frightening and I was reading at bedtime, had trouble sleeping with this one..... 

The Exorcist was very scary because my Dad grew up in Georgetown on the corner of 34th & Prospect Sts, 2 blocks from the Exorcist steps, and he used to tell us about those steps so this film had meaning....his family attended Holy Trinity Catholic Church around the corner.

I also found Rear Window as well as Wait Until Dark frightening--it is what you don't see that scares me, the anticipation, the thinking...

Alien was the last good film that was extremely frightening ...

Honored Contributor

Well put, @ScarletDove.  How interesting about your Dad and those steps.  I had forgotten the Exorcist, but that has to make anyone's list.  I was sorry to see recently that the author of the novel, William Peter Blatty, just died. He was such a fascinating character...

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The Blair Witch Project. Probably because it looked so real. So real that I looked up the actors to see if they were OK, lol.

ME  Too......I thought it was real than my granddaughter laughted and said, no Memere, it was not.....bummer....we were just talking about this on Sunday!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Desperate Hours (the one with Humphrey Bogart) scared me.

I think I was far too young when I first saw it.  I read the book too.