Respected Contributor

What is the most frightning movie?

For me it's a toss up between "The Excorsist" and "The Entity" with Barbera Hershey.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the most frightning movie?

The Blair Witch Project. Probably because it looked so real. So real that I looked up the actors to see if they were OK, lol.

Respected Contributor

Psycho. Still gives me the creeps.

Respected Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

The Blair Witch Project. Probably because it looked so real. So real that I looked up the actors to see if they were OK, lol.

Were they real?  I can't remember if that was true or not.  Thanks Judaline!

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  They were real. And they're fine, lol.

Honored Contributor

This is a really interesting thread. Let's see.  I found "The Shining" to be very scary, especially when you didn't know what that sweet little boy riding his trike down the halls of the "empty" hotel would encounter next-- would there be more brief, slashing images of horrific things?  Combine that with the creepy, deeply unsettling notion that the danger lurked within the little family itself...

"The Silence of the Lambs" was at its most frightening for me during the scenes between Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster while he was behind bars, ironically.  Even though he was "contained",  the genius of Anthony Hopkins was that you felt that the evil he represented was almost un-restrainable, if that makes sense...

"Wait Until Dark" was very scary b/c of the blindness and vulnerablity of the Audrey Hepburn character-- she had only her sharp wits as defense against the amorphous bad things surrounding her.  And brilliant Alan Arkin was a chilling, unpredictable villain capable of playing mind games with his victims.  That was deeply disturbing... A lot of the fear in that movie stemmed from Arkin's diabolical performance, and not necessarily from the actual violence (although that was bad enough) that occurred.

There are more, but those three come to mind.

Respected Contributor

When I was around 13 I was babysitting and watched The Exorcist. It was late and there were no remote controls for the tv back then. I was too afraid to get up and change the channel.  Actually I was too afraid to move and stayed glued to the back of the couch til the people came home. 

Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom  Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. They were actors, the story was just a story. But would you believe there's still a controversy about this? People refuse to believe it wasn't real.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The ones that came to mind are the original "Halloween" and "Cape Fear" (original and remake).  "Fatal Attraction" would also be on my list.

Respected Contributor

Another vote for The Blair witch project !!!  I remember to be afraid to look through my windows facing wooded area at night for months!!!!