Honored Contributor

What is HBO Max? 

Honored Contributor

Say hello to HBO Max, the streaming platform that bundles all of HBO together with even more of your favorite movies and TV series, plus new Max Originals.

HBO Max is an American subscription video on demand streaming service owned by AT&T through the WarnerMedia Direct subsidiary of its WarnerMedia unit, and was launched on May 27, 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HBO_Max

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Say hello to HBO Max, the streaming platform that bundles all of HBO together with even more of your favorite movies and TV series, plus new Max Originals.

HBO Max is an American subscription video on demand streaming service owned by AT&T through the WarnerMedia Direct subsidiary of its WarnerMedia unit, and was launched on May 27, 2020.

@sunshine45 @I have HBO on my directv satellite with a set top box. This does not involve the internet.I also stream HBO on my Directv on my devices over the internet. On my smart TV I can switch off satellite directv and switch over to internet TV such as Netflix, YouTube or Amazon Prime Video. What I'm trying to figure out is how the HBO Max would come into my set. I supposedly already have the HBOMax with my Directv subscription, so now I'm trying to figure out how to turn it on. I wonder if I need to download an app. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45 @I have HBO on my directv satellite with a set top box. This does not involve the internet.I also stream HBO on my Directv on my devices over the internet. On my smart TV I can switch off satellite directv and switch over to internet TV such as Netflix, YouTube or Amazon Prime Video. What I'm trying to figure out is how the HBO Max would come into my set. I supposedly already have the HBOMax with my Directv subscription, so now I'm trying to figure out how to turn it on. I wonder if I need to download an app. 

@Mindy D

You need to download an app to your smart TV.

Here is an easy way to sign into HBOMAX.

You need to sign in to your Direct TV account on your tablet. You will be directed to download an app. You then use your Direct TV user name and password to access your Max account. 

You can then download an app and sign in to your TV,  or computer with in a browser window.

You can use 4 devices. 

Trusted Contributor

Mindy, we have the same Directv service and I have to tell you, trying to get HBO Max to stream was not easy.  We have a brand new LG smart tv with all the other apps (Netflix, etc ) easily accessible, but had multiple problems downloading that app even though I am a tech savvy person. 
I was going to actually call for help when I ended up with a work around.  I open the app on my phone and stream it to the tv through Airplay.  Works fine that way, but I'll get it to the tv at some point.

If you can get the app on your smart tv , you should be fine, but that's the work around just in case.

(Adding that ever since AT&T bought Directv, I've had many issues signing in that I never had before). 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I could not resist chiming in here even though it is a bit off subject.   It seems like AT&T makes everything more inpossible to use.

I am not really tech savvy and all of this talk about streaming devices and how it affects me is mind boggling.

AT&T recently altered my method of on-line payment of bill to make it impossible for me to use this method with all of the USPS delivery delays happening for long time now.  They use 2 factor authorization that suddenly appeared on my account.  They offer to send me a code to identify myself by text. Was never given choice between email/text of ID code. I no longer have AT&T cell service - I am a senior who seldom uses my cell phone and do not text at all.  After phone call to AT&T, they screwed up and did not recognize my landline # on my account with them.  Offered to make my landline # an alternate # on account which made me crazy.  I only have landline on account with them plus internet.  Finally corrected their error but said I could now only use phone call to pay my bill vs us mail.  Also offered autopay option.  Told them I do not trust them enough to use that feature on ATT account.

I lost Dish Network HBO/Cinemax years ago when ATT purchased HBO/Cinemax.

Sorry for rambling but I just cringe whenever I see a comment about AT&T making things more difficult.  What on earth is that about???

Thanks for listening.

Honored Contributor

All of these new streaming services require a new vocabulary.   I searched and searched for Highway Thru Hell which is on The Weather Channel, except its not on the Weather Channel.  I finally got the bright idea to search for The Weather Channel TV and finally found it.  Nowhere is it identified by that name.  The same formula is used for YouTube and YouTube TV.

Then when you finally find the right address, you discover there are various (more expensive) levels of service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion, simply put...TV has become a mess!

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~