Respected Contributor

What have you watched on Netflix/streaming?

Looking for suggestions for Netflix streaming movies. I just watched "All is Lost" with Robert Redford. It was pretty good.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What have you watched on Netflix/streaming?

I haven't watched a lot of movies recently, although I did catch Redwood Highway. I liked it, but I don't know if it is for everyone. It stars Shirley Knight (who was also in Nebraska). Here's the summary:

1. Living in a comfortable retirement community in Southern Oregon, estranged from her family, unsatisfied with her surroundings, and generally not happy about life, Marie decides to journey 80 miles on foot to the coast of Oregon to see the ocean for the first time in 45 years and attend her granddaughter's wedding as an unexpected guest. Along the way, she meets an extraordinary cast of characters and discovers that you're never too old to learn something about life and about yourself.

Trusted Contributor

I have been watching several TV series recently, and the ones I enjoyed most were Doc Martin, Last Tango in Halifax (both British series), and Grand Hotel (Spanish with subtitles).

Respected Contributor

Thank you both!

Respected Contributor

Both Joan Rivers movies.....A piece of work, and Don't start without me .

Both were very informative.

Also enjoyed All is Lost with Robert Redford.....loved the ending .

We love Netflix and also love Amazon Prime.

When we are not traveling, we and our guests do enjoy them both.

Honored Contributor

Hemlock Grove

The Guardian

Upstairs Downstairs

Respected Contributor

I saw All Is Lost on HBO (excellent movie, I think he was robbed of an Academy Award). Also loved Nebraska. I don't have either Netflix or Amazon Prime but am thinking of subscribing to one of them. For any of you that have both, which would you recommend?

Respected Contributor

I recommend both of them.

Many movies on Netflix are only available on Netflix, and may eventually go to Amazon Prime, but perhaps not so I recommend both.

Trusted Contributor

I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix...

If you purchase from Amazon a lot, Amazon Prime is the way to go. You get free 2-day shipping on AP items, and many free movies & kindle books. I think it's around $70 year. However, not all instant streaming is free, nor are all items Amazon Prime (you may still have to pay shipping) nor all kindle books free. Caveat emptor.

I do buy a lot of stuff on-line from Amazon, so the annual fee is a no-brainer. I make that up in free shipping in 6 months, easily.

Netflix is also pretty reasonable; I think it's about $10/month. Some things are available on Netflix but not Amazon, and vice versa. I believe both Netflix and Amazon have some shows that are exclusive to them, so there's that.

It's hard to tell you which one is better because it's such a personal choice, depending on what you like. Both offer free 30 day trial membership, so if I were you, I'd try both and see which one you like better. You've got nothing to lose!

Honored Contributor

I recently finished watching S02 of Orange is the New Black. I just started S02 of House of Cards. I watched this documentary about Harry Nilsson the other day.

There are a million things. What I do to make it easier (because I'm not into using an on-screen keyboard) is go on one of my computers to the Netflix (or Amazon Prime, etc) site, log in, and do my searches there. It's a lot easier and I can put whatever I want onto my 'list' and when I turn on the tv it's there waiting for me.

Also a new series coming up this month on Amazon Prime - Transparent. That one would only be for the open-minded I imagine. Smiley Happy I have it set in my queue for when it becomes available.

There is so much stuff. You can do specific searches or just file through the stuff shown. I find a search a lot easier. Or you can also check 'new on...' and find the latest stuff.