Esteemed Contributor

Re: What has happened to Food Network and the Cooking Channel?

I don't watch The Food Channel nearly as much as I used to.  I can watch an episode or two of Triple D then I'm done with it.  Chopped is OK if there is absolutely nothing else on but I'm far from a regular viewer.  I can't stand the Cakes/Cupcakes/Worst (Celebrity) Cook shows that are featured so much now.  I can only take so much of Ree as she gets a little too sickening sweet after awhile.  I've watched Valerie Bertinelli and Tiffany Thiessen and actually found them enjoyable.  I've never been tempted to make anything they prepare but I did find the shows entertaining.  

Like others have mentioned, I mainly watch CREATE now.  Sara Moulton and Ellie Krieger are my favorites!!!!!  Sara was also my favorite when she was on The Food Channel.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I have cooking shows on deck that I watch every week.  Some of them might be on 'The Cooking Channel', however, which is also part of 'Food Network'.

I actually enjoy the ones by tv stars like Valerie Bertinelli, Haylie Duff, Tia Mowry, Debbie Mazar and her husband, and Tiffany Amber Thiesen.   They cook (actually, Mazar's husband is a chef).  

I've cooked for a million years, however, so I don't need instruction. But it's fun to see what dishes they are going to cook and all of these people seem to be very good at it!

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree with the OP.  Another thing I am tired of is all day long of the same show (different episodes) running for sometimes 12 hours straight.  I can enjoy an occasional marathon but nearly every weekend so many channels do this all weekend & every weekend.  The Food Network has run Diners, Drive-in and Dives for hours & hours each weekend day for years!  I am so sick of Guy that I will not watch anything he is in.  They killed their golden goose with over-exposure. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Valued Contributor

I miss the old shows that were on both Food Network and HGTV. I miss Curb Appeal, Gardening by the Yard, Yard Crashers and the like. I don't watch Food Network as much as I once did. Although I do like Worst Cooks. I used to love to watch Alton Brown after work while I was cooking my supper. Told my coworkers that I never drink alone but I did have a beer with Alton or Hawkeye and BJ once in a while

cookin

Honored Contributor

There's always Martha Stewart and Snoop Dog on VH1.  Smiley Happy

I actually watch this one.  It's just a fun type show - with some cooking thrown in there.

Trusted Contributor

Agree 100% with OP. I used to even watch "who will be the next food network star", but what's the point of having this competition when there's no new show for the winner? The last winner, a black woman who did well, has not been seen since the competition. And Eddie Jackson from the year before--I think he hosted a show where he went around to BBQ venues, but it didn't highlight his own cooking talents. I will tape certain shows when I see them (Ina, PW, Martha on PBS and Trish Yearwood) but that's all. I just watched a really old episode on PBS last Saturday of Julia & she featured a VERY young Emeril. I can remember when he was first on one of the networks in a show that came on at 8PM. DH & I love to cook & we watched him every week (he was just starting with the "BAM" thing then).

Trusted Contributor

Foxxie how are you dear girl?  I was looking for you on TV & movies.  I got a tablet now an have been lurking a lot.  I hope everything is well.  Your friend Jessa

Jessa
Honored Contributor

@Jessa9!!!  So good to see you back!  I've thought about you so many times!  I'm good....I hope you are as well.  A tablet is better than a computer anyway.  I'm on mine 90% of the time because the computer is old and freezes a lot.

I stopped posting on Y&R but I read the posts.  Loveschocolate does a good job and I give her a heart every now and again.  So what have you been doing?  How is the family?  My husband now has diabetes so I'm trying to cook differently.  He doesn't like vegetables but he's trying to eat them.  You know how it is....life is full of challenges.  But I'm up to it.

Well, Cyberfriend, I hope this means I'll be seeing you on a regular basis again.  I really missed yakking with you.  Just do the @Mmsfoxxie and I'll find your post.  You have to use the symbol with no space between it and mmsfoxxie.  Take care.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

ITA    You have go online to their website for video's to the recipes.

What I thought was interesting too, I get a recipe everday in my inbox from the Food Network, today was Chicken Tetrazzini with 5 STAR reviews.

I was ready to print and thought, I won't make so much but there's a lot of steps involved, let's see what everyone else thought about it.  At first I thought with 5 star reviews and so many I didn't need to read BUT, I saw two star, three star, people said no flavor, is the recipe right?  etc.  How can this average out to a 5 star review, it can't with the mixed in low ratings.

Saved the ink printing.

I notice that a lot of the reviews are people who are fans of said chef/cook just saying how much they love their hair, etc.  Especially the ones who were on Food Network Star.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I had to stop recording Trisha Yearwood because I don't think any of the recipes she makes these days are actually hers.  I noticed this with Pioneer Woman a few seasons back.  She was making some banana recipe for dinner and she was saying she's never eaten a banana and doesn't like them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN