Honored Contributor

Re: What are your favorite tearjerkers?

Put a dog in a film and I'm gonna lose it.  Old Yeller is an obvious one, but here's a film that not many people seem to know because it was marketed to the wrong audience.

Fluke

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

A LEAGUE OF THERE OWN. the ending

Respected Contributor

My tearjerker is a song. Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy. It’s such a beautiful and sad song. I have never been able to listen to it without crying 😢 

Honored Contributor

And speaking of which...

Travis Coates: No, Mama!

Katie Coates: There's no hope for him now, Travis. He's suffering. You know we've got to do it.

Travis Coates: Yes, Mama. But he was my dog. I'll do it.

Old Yeller

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Well, for starters, any film involving an animal does it for me. My Dog Skip comes to mind. When I read Steinbeck's The Red Pony, the tears blurred my vision so much, I had to take breaks to dry out. I couldn't watch the movie at all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@heart of savino wrote:

A LEAGUE OF THERE OWN. the ending

@heart of savino 

Good one!  I always snot up at the end, too, during This Used to Be My Playground.

Well, even before that...

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Well, for starters, any film involving an animal does it for me. My Dog Skip comes to mind. When I read Steinbeck's The Red Pony, the tears blurred my vision so much, I had to take breaks to dry out. I couldn't watch the movie at all.

@RainCityWoman 

I hear ya! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Leggett28 wrote:

My tearjerker is a song. Wildfire by Michael Martin Murphy. It’s such a beautiful and sad song. I have never been able to listen to it without crying 😢 

@Leggett28 

There are movie soundtracks and pieces of music that make me lose it every time.  We could have a whole thread devoted to musical tearjerkers! Heart

Honored Contributor

Oh, boy, quite a few, including some already mentioned.

One really stands out to me--  'Til We Meet Again,  with George Brent and Merle Oberon.  Both passengers on a luxury ship cruising exotic waters.  He doesn't know she has a terminal illness;  she doesn't know he's a convicted criminal being taken home for severe punishment (possibly execution, I'm not sure).  They fall so in love.  Merle Oberon has never been so delicately vulnerable, or George Brent so touched and gallantly protective...

Weep!

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother taking me to see West Side Story when I was little.  We even had to take the L to a different part of Chicago to see it.

I still cry. Woman Sad