Trusted Contributor

Re: What are your favorite tearjerkers?

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

Pretty much any movie Jessica Tandy did in the 80s/90s, Fried Green Tomatoes, To Dance With the White Dog and Driving Miss Daisy are big tearjerkers for me. When she takes Hoke's hand and says "Hoke, you're my best friend."  it's instant 😔😢😭

Other than that, old school movies: Imitation of Life, An Affair to Remember and It's A Wonderful Life.

Newer movies, The Queen, Dances With Wolves and The Notebook. 

Any movie that involves a dog crossing the rainbow bridge,  which no doubts stems from the childhood trauma of watching Old Yeller. 😳 My Dog Skip, Marley and Me and the like bring on the worst ugly crying ever seen. 😭

@Maltichonmom17 

I thought about Driving Miss Daisy the other day and yes, there's definitely the Tandy factor, but there's also the whole Morgan Freeman thing.

I was thinking about his films and a few of them are tearjerkers for me.

Driving Miss Daisy

Glory (just watched it again this week)

The Shawshank Redemption

And here's the weird one: Se7en.

The Hemingway quote at the end always gets me.

Agreed! I ❤️ Morgan Freeman. Shawshank Redemption and Glory are both fantastic movies. Will have to check out Se7en. 

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

Pretty much any movie Jessica Tandy did in the 80s/90s, Fried Green Tomatoes, To Dance With the White Dog and Driving Miss Daisy are big tearjerkers for me. When she takes Hoke's hand and says "Hoke, you're my best friend."  it's instant 😔😢😭

Other than that, old school movies: Imitation of Life, An Affair to Remember and It's A Wonderful Life.

Any movie that involves a dog crossing the rainbow bridge,  which no doubts stems from the childhood trauma of watching Old Yeller. 😳 My Dog Skip, Marley and Me and the like bring on the worst ugly crying ever seen. 😭

Ooh, I forgot about 'Fried Green Tomatoes'.  That was one great movie.  I got to eat lunch at the Whistle Stop Cafe and we walked around many of the other areas used in the movie.   It was very cool!

As to the movie itself - one of my all-time favs.  Bates, Tandy, Parker, and Tyson...great actors.   It was a story like nothing else.

Sounds  like you had a great experience at the Whistle Stop Cafe. It was a great movie on so many levels. 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 

I thought about Driving Miss Daisy the other day and yes, there's definitely the Tandy factor, but there's also the whole Morgan Freeman thing.

I was thinking about his films and a few of them are tearjerkers for me.

Driving Miss Daisy

Glory (just watched it again this week)

The Shawshank Redemption

And here's the weird one: Se7en.

The Hemingway quote at the end always gets me.

Agreed! I ❤️ Morgan Freeman. Shawshank Redemption and Glory are both fantastic movies. Will have to check out Se7en. 

@Maltichonmom17 

Just be aware that Se7en is a tad dark.  But clever.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Lassie Come Home and a movie few people have heard of:  All Mine to Give

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Lonesome Dove!

See the source image

Oh yes, definitely! This has multiple tearjerker moments! I need a whole box of tissues when I wstch this!

Trusted Contributor

@just bee :

So glad to see someone else besides me tears up at the end of the Magificent Seven. That is my all-time favorite movie. It's so much more than just a western. 

Best Years of Our Lives is another one that is possibly the best movie ever made. I have to have kleenex on hand for  both of them  even though I have seen those movies dozens of times.

Valued Contributor

More wet-face tearjerkers:
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Life is Beautiful
...most recent cry: This is My Land
Valued Contributor

Beaches and Steel Magnolias.  Make me cry every, single time!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

The Verdict

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

A lot of people dislike Anne Hathaway, but I have to say I found this film quite charming.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

One Day