Esteemed Contributor

Re: What a great way to start the Oscars!

[ Edited ]

@kitcat51 wrote:

My friend called saying you have to see it...Adam is no match for Freddie but to be fair nobody is so I went to YouTube & watched Queen's performance at Live Aid 1985, it's great...what a powerful voice & he owned the stage, a one of a kind talent.

Actually, I think Adam is not trying to be a match. I've seen Queen and Adam Live, and I've seen Freddie perform. I think it's a tossup, though their styles are different. If the remaining members of Queen think Adam is the real thing, that's all that matters to me. They have tried several other leads and could never regain the chemistry until Adam. He is very direct with his audiences when he says he's not trying to be Freddie. He can, though, match Freddie note for note in his range, and his showmanship is always evident as was Freddie's. A tribute to Adam is the thousands of British died in the wool Freddie fans whom Adam has won over.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

I did not watch.  No reason to.  I am not going to listen to political digs of any kind and I bet that is what happened.  

Outside of Spike Lee, who didn't mention any names, NO, that did not happen. There were, however, lots of speeches about following your dreams and working hard to make them come true.

Honored Contributor

Out of all the awards shows this season, this one was the least political, IMO.

I don't know if it had to do with not having a host or winners being told to cut back on their remarks.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m guessing that the comments related to Spike Lee were not due to his speech but the reported reaction to when they called Green Book the best picture (supposedly getting up and trying to storm out of the theater). He later compared it to a basketball (?) game where the ref makes a bad call.

Honored Contributor

Yes Spike is not a fan of Green Book. The criticisms of that movie from a racial point of view are valid in my opinion. I still liked the movie for what it was, but reading the views of some African Americans about the movie I understand completely why they feel the way they do.

Plus the controversies about the director, Viggo, and the Dr's family...it just tarnishes things for me.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

I’m guessing that the comments related to Spike Lee were not due to his speech but the reported reaction to when they called Green Book the best picture (supposedly getting up and trying to storm out of the theater). He later compared it to a basketball (?) game where the ref makes a bad call.

And he always makes his displeasure known when he doesn't like a call.  It gets old fast.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

My friend called saying you have to see it...Adam is no match for Freddie but to be fair nobody is so I went to YouTube & watched Queen's performance at Live Aid 1985, it's great...what a powerful voice & he owned the stage, a one of a kind talent.

Actually, I think Adam is not trying to be a match. I've seen Queen and Adam Live, and I've seen Freddie perform. I think it's a tossup, though their styles are different. If the remaining members of Queen think Adam is the real thing, that's all that matters to me. They have tried several other leads and could never regain the chemistry until Adam. He is very direct with his audiences when he says he's not trying to be Freddie. He can, though, match Freddie note for note in his range, and his showmanship is always evident as was Freddie's. A tribute to Adam is the thousands of British died in the wool Freddie fans whom Adam has won over.

I don't agree at all.  I thought he was not good.  Worse this morning I learned, and I started a new thread about it, that a Canadian singer named Marc Martel did the vocals in the movie.  Studio was Freddie, Live Aid was Freddie and Marc Martel.  Rami only did enough so he could lip sync.

Have you heard Marc Martel?  It's amazing.  I had goosebumps.  And they seem to be downplaying his important role.  In the other thread I gave two links to performances of his and trust me they will give you goosebumps.

As for Adam Lambert he's doing his own thing with the band and I would never go but yay for those who enjoy it.

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

I don't agree at all.  I thought he was not good.  Worse this morning I learned, and I started a new thread about it, that a Canadian singer named Marc Martel did the vocals in the movie.  Studio was Freddie, Live Aid was Freddie and Marc Martel.  Rami only did enough so he could lip sync.

Have you heard Marc Martel?  It's amazing.  I had goosebumps. 

Based on his credits and a slew of articles this morning, they purposely are downplaying his crucial singing in the movie.  In the other thread I gave two links to performances of his and trust me they will give you goosebumps.

As for Adam Lambert he's doing his own thing with the band and I would never go but yay for those who enjoy it.