Honored Contributor

Re: What a great way to start the Oscars!

I thought Queen did a fantastic opening and Adam Lambert was very good. 

i just wish people would put their phones away and not carry them up on stage....it's televised and on tape...they will be able to see it. I think they should have a no phone rule.JMO

I prefer not having a host. I thought it was much better without one.

Honored Contributor

IMO, the Oscars don’t need a host and the money and time saved without one was proven last night.  I never found them funny anyway and they always pick comedians who just stand there and insult everyone.

Queen/Lambert did a great job opening the show.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I absolutely loved Queen's performance.  The place was rockin.  I liked not having host.  My absolute favorite was Lady Gaga & Bradley  Cooper!  Loved the way no one introduced them and he took her hand and went upstage to perform.  I had chills the whole time. It was fabulous!! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitkat51 - I agree with you - Queen owned the stage at the LiveAid concert. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do not watch--here is why: I understand from Christian Toto's rundown of the Oscars on this mornings "Oscar" news that Spike Lee made a fool of himself with his ungrateful, childish rambling about not winning more Oscars.....  Christian Toto said he does not understand why an acceptance speech is wasted on foolishness rather than gratefulness!

He said that Adam Lambert/Queen was so good he could have done his performance again!  High praises on this performance!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The opening will apparently prove to be the highlight because the show itself sucks... Too many ads, too long and poorly articulated acceptance speeches and a lot of predictable verbiage... I turned it off after about half an hour... The winners list will prove to be predictable and I didn't really care enough to sit through it... 

@stevieb . Ok then, looks to me like they finally put a limit to speeches which is good. Not everyone can be as articulate as posters here. Hope you all don’t go to the movies or watch them on tv. 

Hope Bohemian Rhapsody wins.

@proudlyfromNJ  Just a thought... Watching movies at the movie theater or on TV is usually entertaining. That show SO was not... I'd be good with a Bohemian Rhapsody win too...

Woman Wink

@stevieb . Yes, I do agree. But the way a lot of people denigrate the oscars and stars and then go on to post about watching movies makes no sense to me. Yes, some hate Hollywood so if that is the case don’t go to the movies and don’t watch tv. They are both Hollywood . 

Not speaking of you @stevieb . Just other Hollywood posters haters.

@proudlyfromNJ  No worries and I get your perspective. I merely am differentiating their work from what, in many ways, is their 'awards banquet'.. I guess I feel folks can have a point of view on the work put out by the industry but not necessarily feel compelled to enjoy their 'annual meeting'... I did switch back a few times to see the few things I really wanted to see but overall, I didn't think the show was particularly entertaining or compelling... The only surprise for me was the Best Actress, winner, who I found charming...

Too bad about Bohemian Rhapsody, but Hollywood, right now, is all about 'message' pictures...so that particular outcome was not a shocker... Not to say the winner wasn't a good film, I don't know, i haven't seen it...

A few highlights during the show and, for me, more than a few low points...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Whoever Christian Toto is, he didn’t hear the same speech I did because I thought that Spike Lee was fantastic.
Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Whoever Christian Toto is, he didn’t hear the same speech I did because I thought that Spike Lee was fantastic.

And I agree with you.

Honored Contributor

Spike Lee didn't make a spectacle of himself.

I actually thought all of the speeches were good this year - except the one lady that won and read her speech off her phone.  

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:

Christian Toto is a Hollywood reporter on entertainment news. And isn't it interesting how people see things differently.