Honored Contributor

What a bunch of highway robbers

Here I am paying  approx. $150.00 per month for DISH.  It is loaded with so many commercials that certain shows aren't even worth watching.  So I attempt to tape so I can blip the commercials out.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Then comes streaming.  What a wonderful idea, I thought, no commercials.  That's until I realized I will be paying double to watch what I should be getting for my first $150.00.

Sorry, just letting off steam.  DH doesn't pay any attention to the bills around here, if he did we would be watching nothing.  We can't get antenna TV where we live.

Honored Contributor

Re: What a bunch of highway robbers

As mentioned before, we're staying with RCN.  $90 of the $235 bill (cable, internet, phone) goes to taxes and fees so that the real cost, IMO, is under $150.  I got a substantial "loyal customer" discount so I'm not complaining.  Have no desire to go to any "streaming" service.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Here I am paying  approx. $150.00 per month for DISH.  It is loaded with so many commercials that certain shows aren't even worth watching.  So I attempt to tape so I can blip the commercials out.  Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Then comes streaming.  What a wonderful idea, I thought, no commercials.  That's until I realized I will be paying double to watch what I should be getting for my first $150.00.

I have dish-same price as you but there are certain channels we need to have so had to go up to a higher bracket-otherwise would have just had the basics. Every program has commercials-it isn't just DISH?? I don't watch those. I watch one soap with commercials so I record that and zip right through them. I like the ID channel so I do the same with that. No patience for commercials.

Respected Contributor

Spectrum is bad, too:  They dropped many channels, and had the nerve to raise the price.

Esteemed Contributor

We pay $100.23 total for Direct TV.  This is with nothing special as far as channels.  But we do have a lot of TVs in our house.  When Direct TV raises our bill, I threaten to cancel.  I have to be persistent about it, until they transfer me to another department and they give me some sort of loyalty discount.  I have done that at least twice now.  We also have Amazon prime (think that is because we use an Am EX?) And we have netflix.  There is more than enough to watch - and we likely watch too much TV as it is.

It seems like it the wild wild west with all the different companies, price points, channels, as well as streaming.  

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I kicked DirectTV to the curb 2 years ago and now stream HULU. DirectTV was going to raise my rate $65 a month and when I counted the informercial channels, religion, music, Spanish and kiddie channels there were maybe 10 channels that I watched. HULU is $46 a month and I get most of the cable channels with no informercials, religion, kiddie, Spanish and music channel I don't want.