Trusted Contributor

Re: What Is One Of The Saddest Movies You Have Seen...

[ Edited ]

The movie with ART CARNEY and the cat (HARRY AND TONTO).  Of course, Kitty  dies at the end and old Art is left all alone with no one.  Me?  I cried again.

Trusted Contributor

DEATH IN VENICE

CINEMA PARADISO (not really sad, just emotional)

Honored Contributor

Brian's Song.  I usually pass on sad movies.  They don't add anything positive to my life.  

Honored Contributor

One Day (2011) - IMDb

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

There were many sad movies that made me cry especially animal films which I will not watch. But, Bohemian Rhapsody was really sad to me. I loved Freddy Mercury & he was a phenomenal talent but such a sad life & ending.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will agree hands down with Sophie's Choice. I will never watch that again. It's burned into my brain anyway. I didn't know in advance what her choice was. If I had, I might not have watched it at all. Meryl Streep was devastating in the role of Sophie, and she deserved that Oscar, but never again. 

It is because of Sophie's Choice that I have never watched Schindler's List and likely never will. 

A lot of other good choices were made as well, all very sad. No more Terms of Endearment for me either. 

One movie that makes me bawl like baby at the end, but I love so much that I will watch it anyway, is Imitation of Life, both the Lana Turner and the Claudette Colbert versions. 

Like a lot of people, I was scarred by Old Yeller and Dumbo as a kid, lol. Dumbo's mother singing Baby Mine in the barred train car is all I need to sob. And of course, Bambi too. 

Has anyone named The Children's Hour with Audrey Hepburn, Shirley MacLaine and James Garner? I think it's very sad. 

Lastly, the ending of the western Shane, where the little boy yells for Shane to come back.

Valued Contributor

I agree with many other posts here, but would also add," Glory" (I watched that in HS and it is still resonating with me today); "Where the Red Fern Grows" (a horrible rip your guts out because the dogs die movie! And allegedly since it was geared to kids somehow, they made us watch it in 3rd or 4th grade!) If the dog dies in any movie, no matter how great it supposedly is, I still refuse outright to watch it.  And, "Saving Private Ryan". So well made and heartwrenching (and obviously set during a very real and very horrifying time in the world) I saw it opening weekend, and there were some very young naval men in their dress whites about my age at the time, and their reactions were downright painful to watch. Their sobbing was something I will never forget.