Trusted Contributor

Re: What Do You Think of the Academy Awards?

@Tinkrbl44 Actors and actresses, in fact all entertainers  are in the business of making movies that entertain the public. Their popularity depends on fans who pay to see their pictures. It's just plain stupid to insult the people who are responsible for their fame and wealth. They need to shut up and act. If they want to express their opinions they have the right to do so, but they should do it in such a way that they don't insult or denigrate those who don't share their opinions. Their big mouths are responsible for the decline in movie box office revenues, sports ticket sales, and a huge drop in the TV audience for their self-worship award shows. Now that I know how they feel about me, I wouldn't spend a penny on their movies, concerts, or sporting events and there are millions more who feel like I do.

Valued Contributor

The Academy Awards are tedious and the nominees' opinions are more interesting to me than the movies for which they are nominated. I enjoy their outfits but usually just check in with the NYTimes the next morning for that.

I was curious about the Best Actress and Best Actor winners and found a website that had them listed way back and noticed that as far back as 1988, I liked many more of the movies in which the Best Actress was starring than those with the Best Actor. In fact the score was 17 to 7. Since 2002, there were 0 movies starring the Best Actor that I even watched all the way through. Oh, an exception is Manchester by the Sea, which starred Casey Affleck and I've seen 4 times. 

Trusted Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 Actors and actresses, in fact all entertainers  are in the business of making movies that entertain the public. Their popularity depends on fans who pay to see their pictures. It's just plain stupid to insult the people who are responsible for their fame and wealth. They need to shut up and act. If they want to express their opinions they have the right to do so, but they should do it in such a way that they don't insult or denigrate those who don't share their opinions. Their big mouths are responsible for the decline in movie box office revenues, sports ticket sales, and a huge drop in the TV audience for their self-worship award shows. Now that I know how they feel about me, I wouldn't spend a penny on their movies, concerts, or sporting events and there are millions more who feel like I do.

So based on what you said, "Shut up and ________ applies to every profession.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Buffalogal47 

Okay, but I must say I am hard -pressed to recall when any entertainer deliberately "insulted" a fan on a live event.  It would have been all over the internet the next day and talked about it everywhere.  I would think I wouldn't have missed that.

Please refresh my memory .... when was the last time this happened?  

And why would you ever think that all people working in any industry feel exactly the same as every other co-worker?    It's mathmatically impossible.

Be that as it may, I think most people don't realize that those shows aren't really about "self-worship".   The U.S. rakes in billions in sales of international movie ticket sales.  Movies that sell well all over the world benefit our country.  Ticket sales = income = taxes paid.  Think about that for a moment.

Your community probably has movie theaters, right?  If people are going to the movies, then the local theater employees have jobs.  The theater owners can pay the rent in the cineplex.   Food and drinks are sold.   It's an opportunity to go out and have fun, or go on a date.

Local restaurants benefit greatly from movie theaters .... "dinner and a movie" is a very common occurrence just about everywhere.

Just about every community prospers from the movie industry, whether they realize it or not.

Honored Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@paixmcdao @Buffalogal47 I will include businesses who spend more time supporting charities of certain sorts and preaching political viewpoints than paying attention to their customers and their products.  

Super Contributor

They like to entertain themselves.  A big hiccup!!😳

Trusted Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Yes. Except for pillow salesmen, reality show stars and Chuck Norris.

Super Contributor

Chuck Norris is our favorite actor.  He never got the award he deserved!

Honored Contributor

You're right, @beach-mom --   a film about a cannibalistic romantic pair is revolting.  Critics who swoon are the same ones who fall for anything they perceive as 'edgy' and 'transgressive'.   Weird how in the last few years cannibalism has more and more permeated media and pop culture.  "Bones and All" was actually based on a book which was also well-received in certain quarters.

I don't watch the Oscars for lack of interest.  The people involved are so much cut from the same cloth, it's tedious.  And when they "bravely" share their ideologies in the middle of an award show, it's always the same.  I heard that Ricky Gervais once or twice gave them some mild comical pushback, and that might have been moderately amusing to see...

Trusted Contributor

Of course Bones and All and the relationship between the 2 young cannibals looking for the reasons behind their urges is a metaphor for something larger. The film is based on a young adult book a la Twilight.

I loved Timothy Chalamet in Call Me By Your Name and Beautiful Boy and the person who directed Call Me also directs this.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.