Honored Contributor

Re: What Breed of Dog Would You Like to See Win?

Sorry, I just don't get that haircut

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla the cut came about because these were working dogs.  In addition to their brains poodles are athletic.  They would retrieve birds for hunters.... often going into the water to do so.  The hair was cut to keep their chests and joints warm in the water, without weighing them down too much.

Honored Contributor

Until they start allowing natural dogs in Westminster, I have no desire to watch.  

It's my understanding that Wilma the Boxer won the working group.  Boxers are my breed of choice but mine are rescues.  Those cropped ears and tail are not the way that breed is born.  Makes me sick to think of the ears being cut off to conform to what some have deemed the breed should look like. 

Respected Contributor

So happy that the poodle won!  She's a beautiful girl!

Super Contributor

Never say Never !!  

Italian Greyhound, watch for the beautiful BOB winner in the Toy Group.

Honored Contributor

For entertainment value, I love watching the terriers.   They put on quite the show.

Personally I love the big dogs, particularly labs

I would never own a Pekinese but the one that lost to the Havanese was flawless and fun to watch.   Wish I had the Havanese hair, LOL

I NEVER choose the winner but this year I nailed it.  I was rooting for the poodle.   What a special dog.   Wonder if announcing the retirement before the competition had anything to do with it.   Yes, lots of politics. 

I've only known 2 standard poodles in my life, special dogs, nothing like the smaller ankle biters.  And black is my favorite color.   I dream of having a black dog of every breed, cats too.

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe next year for the Golden Lovers

@Foxxee  @Lattelvr , @Kindaglitzy  and any others

download (3).jpg

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Sorry, I just don't get that haircut

@drizzellla 

There's a reason for that haircut.  The Poodle, a retriever, originating in Germany was developed for retrieving water fowl.  German hunters decided to cut the hair around the rump to make it easier for these dogs with hair similar and heavy as wool, to swim.  They left hair around those areas needing protection from the cold water...head, chest, and joints.  

As can imagine, these hunters did a rather sloppy job.  The French said that wouldn't do and smoothed everything out in something we see today.  The French adopted the Poodle as their national dog, but it is very German.  There is no such thing as a French Poodle.  The English word Poodle comes from the German word Pudel.   

Honored Contributor

I did not watch, and am not a dog person, although I do love dogs.  I just don't know how to read or handle them.  I have cats.  There are several breeds I really like, but my all-time favorite is the lowly Blood Hound.  Don't get a lot of respect.  Even most police departments have stopped using them in favor of the multi-purpose Belgian Malinois or German Shepherd.  A local PD K9 handler recently told me he thought that maybe the nearby prison still used a Blood Hound for tracking escapees.  I did see on Live PD recently that one of the CA departments still has one too.  

Honored Contributor

I like border collies too, but as far as I'm concerned, the only dog deserving the title are Huskies!