Honored Contributor

Re: West Side Story - 2021 Version

I love the original West Side Story, and can't wait to see the new one. There were those who thought both Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer were miscast as Maria and Tony. Neither of them sang, the singing was dubbed, I am assuming the new version, the actors can sing and dance.

Honored Contributor

I have no interest in seeing remakes of classics.  Natalie was great IMO singing or not.  And, again IMO, Spielberg is an overrated diretcor.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I love the original West Side Story, and can't wait to see the new one. There were those who thought both Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer were miscast as Maria and Tony. Neither of them sang, the singing was dubbed, I am assuming the new version, the actors can sing and dance.

Gosh, I didn't know anyone else felt that way! I agree to this day.

I remember seeing the making of Showboat and Ava Gardner singing her part-really nice voice. But true to Hollywood  history, they chose to dub her voice. I always thought, if they can't sing, why cast them?  Just not enough singers who can act maybe, lol. Sinatra sure could. He was a natural actor.

Honored Contributor

Best performers in the classic movie by far were Chakaris, and Moreno, and they have their Oscars to prove it !!!

Some still feel the original cast on Broadway with Carol Lawrence was still the best Maria to date. chita Riivera was terrific as Anita. My high school put on WSS in 1970, it was so fabulous, they were asked to perform it , and charge top dollar for admission. 

Honored Contributor

I didn’t like the original. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the original! It was common practice back then to dub singing voices. Yes, the new version has the actors singing for themselves. I will probably watch the remake because I love musicals, but I tend to prefer the older classic versions. We'll see. 

FYI - There is some controversy regarding the actor who plays Tony in the the remake - Ansel Elgort. Google if you want. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

I love the original! It was common practice back then to dub singing voices. Yes, the new version has the actors singing for themselves. I will probably watch the remake because I love musicals, but I tend to prefer the older classic versions. We'll see. 

FYI - There is some controversy regarding the actor who plays Tony in the the remake - Ansel Elgort. Google if you want. 

@wilma Yes, just googled-very interesting about Ansel....I don't know about the remake???

Contributor

I have loved every stage version I have seen as well as the 1961 movie.  Leonard Bernstein's and Stephen Sondheim's music and lyrics, Jerome Robbin's choreography, Arthur Laurents' adaptation of Romeo and Juliet all come together to create magic.  Complete perfection!