Respected Contributor

Re: Wendy Williams Jokes About Cleft Palate

@Katcat1  for the longest time I thought she was a man dressed as a woman. Lol

Respected Contributor

I've run out of  words for people like her.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

I find it extremely offensive when anyone jokes about a person's disability!  

Super Contributor

I agree that it was wrong of her to do that,but she has apologized. There are other people who are supposed to be more important then Wendy,who say and do things like that and worse and all people say it was a joke. People take it too seriously. Well if we have to hold her and others in the entertainment industry accountable then we have to hold those in position of power accountable.

Respected Contributor

I happened to see that segment of her show and was appalled by her insensitivity.  First of all, a cleft lip and pallat is a birth defect not a disability when corrected by surgery.  It is not that uncommon.  People don't realize or notice that many famous people were born with a cleft lip.  Among them are Tom Brokow, Peyton Manning, Joaquin Phoenix, Jesse Jackson, Cheech Marin, Stacy Keech, Jose Ferrer, Jason Robards, Tad Lincoln and King Tut.  There are many many more.

My granddaughter was born with a cleft lip and pallat which led to issues with her hearing canals.  She also had other problems that I won't go into, but she's had many surgeries.  But there is certainly nothing wrong with her intelligence or her ability to gain emploment.

I would hope the WW would take the opportunity to educate herself and expose herself to a wider range of normal people.  And I would hope that the affiliate she work for would take some action to correct her.  She seems to be a troubled woman.

Honored Contributor

I never watch this woman...I thought she was a drag queen the first time I saw her. I have a friend whose little grandson was born with a cleft palate. He is fine now after surgery...but I know the heartbreak and trauma her family felt while dealing with his problem; the idea that a grown woman would do something like this is disgusting. She owes an apology to who the guy was she was mocking...as well as she should donate huge money to an organization that does research or offers surgery for children born with cleft palates.
Respected Contributor

She is a narcisstic (sp?) ignorant, low class jerk.  How she still has her own show is beyond me.  She just sits there and preens, keeps hiking her clothing up to show the top of her thighs, and thinks she is all that and more.  For anyone to make fun of a person with any kind of handicap or birth defect is totally not acceptable and an apology is not enough.  She should have never made that statement in the first place, she is a grown woman not a kid.  I wish they would just cancel her show already.

Trusted Contributor

Low class trash, IMO. She really has no room to talk about anyone's "perceived" flaws.

dee

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I know who this woman is but don't ever watch her.  I read a story that she was discussing Joaquin Phoenix and the scar above his lip.  She found him "oddly attractive."

She mentioned a cleft palate and used her finger to pull her lip up jokingly. Her audiance laughed.

What he h*ll is wrong with this woman?  A grown woman making fun of a birth defect that affects thousands of people, including small children. Her audiance is no better.

Joaquin Phoenix was born with a non-surgical scar, not a scar from cleft plate surgery.

My Mother always said you never make fun of someone. because it's not only wrong, but you never know how you could end up before you die.

Honored Contributor

Do people really not yet know that political comments are against terms of use, or do you just keep trying to get away with them?
Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

They said on The Talk today people are asking for Wendy to be fired due to her insensitivity. 

Honestly I have not watched Wendy since she said Christy Brinkley was faking a broken arm.  I have no interest in her show at all.  People are tired of negativity.