Esteemed Contributor

Re: Well Hollywood cranked out another

@Nancy Drewwrote:

Most of "Hollywood " cut ties with morals years ago.

I take it you know many of them personally to make such a statement. You have to remember that what they do is a job. They "Act." The only thing that I've ever wondered about them is when are they really acting or not in real life?

@Nancy Drew

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@eadu4wrote:

@ImaoldhippieEh on the timing. They might have been trying for October but got pushed back on the release and so now it's coming out. But as far as movies go, the good ones are far and few between recently. Hollywood just puts out a lot of junk. Pretty much remakes/sequels of past hits and most flop. Most of the "made for TV" movies and releases are the worst. At least that one is based on a true story. And after reading the back story to it, I thought pretty interesting to think all that actually happened other than the rampaging lol. I mean, if the bear had not ingested enough to die, would it have flipped out?

@eadu4

While I agree with some of the statements here, people don't consider how much the entertainment industry has changed.

Decades ago a new movie would come out people could ONLY see it in a movie theater. Not so anymore.

What it boils down to with that business is who buys the tickets? Who buys the DVDs? What does this target market respond to to increase sales?

These days, just about everyone has a "home theater" and many haven't been in a movie theater in quite a while. Covid didn't help anyone. The 20-somethings who will go to the movies are accustomed to special effects which seems more important to them than the story having a good plot. "Older folks" rarely go to theaters regularly.

Another consideration .... the American movie industry isn't making movies just for American audiences. Tickets and dvds are sold worldwide, and decisions are made in the planning stages that keep those considerations in mind. It's a completely different world out there ... and a different industry from years ago.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudeclosetwrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

I take it you know many of them personally to make such a statement. You have to remember that what they do is a job. They "Act." The only thing that I've ever wondered about them is when are they really acting or not in real life?

@Nancy Drew

I know what jobs they accept, what projects they back and promote. That's good enough for me and my opinion. Is that a problem?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drewwrote:

@gertrudeclosetwrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

@Nancy Drew

I know what jobs they accept, what projects they back and promote. That's good enough for me and my opinion. Is that a problem?

Not for me, but it sure sounded like you know their hearts and their moral compass. What they do for work is not necessarily analagous with their true lifestyle. All's I'm say'n.....

@Nancy DrewAs if you know them all.........

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@eadu4wrote:

@ImaoldhippieEh on the timing. They might have been trying for October but got pushed back on the release and so now it's coming out. But as far as movies go, the good ones are far and few between recently. Hollywood just puts out a lot of junk. Pretty much remakes/sequels of past hits and most flop. Most of the "made for TV" movies and releases are the worst. At least that one is based on a true story. And after reading the back story to it, I thought pretty interesting to think all that actually happened other than the rampaging lol. I mean, if the bear had not ingested enough to die, would it have flipped out?

@eadu4

While I agree with some of the statements here, people don't consider how much the entertainment industry has changed.

Decades ago a new movie would come out people could ONLY see it in a movie theater. Not so anymore.

What it boils down to with that business is who buys the tickets? Who buys the DVDs? What does this target market respond to to increase sales?

These days, just about everyone has a "home theater" and many haven't been in a movie theater in quite a while. Covid didn't help anyone. The 20-somethings who will go to the movies are accustomed to special effects which seems more important to them than the story having a good plot. "Older folks" rarely go to theaters regularly.

Another consideration .... the American movie industry isn't making movies just for American audiences. Tickets and dvds are sold worldwide, and decisions are made in the planning stages that keep those considerations in mind. It's a completely different world out there ... and a different industry from years ago.

Just my two cents on the subject.

I agree with everything you stated here @Tinkrbl44 . Back in the day the studios owned the A list stars. If you had a contract at Warner Brothers you couldn't accept work from Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Actors are free agents and have their own representation and publicists and don't have to be accountable to one studio. They can go where they want and work with whatever studios and directors they want them. No one signs those 360 deals anymore unless you're a desperate singer.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudeclosetwrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

@gertrudeclosetwrote:

@Nancy Drewwrote:

@Nancy Drew

Not for me, but it sure sounded like you know their hearts and their moral compass. What they do for work is not necessarily analagous with their true lifestyle. All's I'm say'n.....

@Nancy DrewAs if you know them all.........

This is a shopping board forum. Not an inquestion. I am not in the mood to type long paragraphs defending my opinion. Just so you don't get disappointed the next time I throw out a comment.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Trusted Contributor

Well, just my 2 cents -- I feel soooo sorry for that bear!

But I wonder if ALL the cocaine was really consumed by the bear; or if some other animals or humans found some of the cocaine and took it for themselves?

As for the pilot -- I guess you could call that karma.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygalwrote:

My husband and I had a similar discussion the other day. You know how we have favorite old movies, the kids of today, do they go to the movies? What do they see, beyone Star Wars, and Jurassic Park, I have no idea.

ask 'em and find out

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to Wikipedia, they are describing the film as a black comedy thriller survival film.

In theatre movies these days are usually seen by male teens and twenty somethings and the usually successful films are comic book hero films. Some action films also meet with box office success.

Most recently, the romantic comedy film starring Clooney and Julia Roberts was successful with older audiences but when compared to box office numbers this film was nowhere as successful as the current, most successful comic book films playing now to streaming audiences and the cost for streaming is approximately $20.

What stands out about the bear film is the publicity campaign surrounding the film is starting now, while the film isn't due out until summer.

Wikipedia says that in the real story the cocaine bear got into cocaine that was dropped from a plane by a dealer. The remains of the bear were found three months after the drop and were surrounded by lots of empty plastic containers that had held about 75lbs. of cocaine. The bear was taxidermied at the behest of the medical examiner involved in the case.