Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to Plathsville On TLC update to previous thread

The older son reminds me of a Village of the Damned kid.  

The older kids all seem to have maturity issues and the older daughter that's still home seems to have other issues.

It's sad to see what the parents did to them.

Respected Contributor

Is there a daughter that is not shown on the show?  I caught this once and when the 17 year old was shown, they said 2nd daughter.....who is the first daughter?

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I just started watching this show, reminds me of the Duggars in a way. I can only imagine being sheltered then coming into the real world would be a huge challenge. Just trying to make friends in the real world and don't know much about computers, music or anything that a young adult should know. The older girls know about makeup they do a great job with that, suprised the parents allowed them that. Does anyone know what the Dad does for a living? Wonder if he works outside the home. Their new house is nice. 

@sissel  The dad is a transportation planner. I'm not quite sure what that entails. He's worked for the same company for over 25 years. They must be located next to the Georgia Florida line because his office is in Florida. I can't tell you what town because I read about it when the show first aired which was last year I believe. I also recall reading that both parents are college educated though they seem to show little to no interest in their children's education.

They certainly are like the Duggars. I believe they hold many of the same religious beliefs. At least the Duggar kids have traveled and weren't totally sheltered. It doesn't seem like these kids even have friends. I feel sad for them. Their parents have done a lot of harm in the way that they've raised them. I feel the mom is an extremely hateful woman as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Travone wrote:

Is there a daughter that is not shown on the show?  I caught this once and when the 17 year old was shown, they said 2nd daughter.....who is the first daughter?

@Travone  They have a daughter that's married to a guy in one of the cults. That's what I call them. They live in Minnesota or somewhere near there. She's a violinist. She may sing too. Like I said, it's been a while since I've read about it but I do recall they are into extreme religious practices so I'm sure they are pleased with the man she's married to.

There's a leader of all of this religion and they all follow his teachings. I can't recall his name. They all meet together at times but it doesn't sound like this family has done much of that.

When the Duggar kids did wrong or their parents though they needed discipline they sent them to some type of camp called the alert academy. It's basic brainwashing. Most of them use these methods to try and gain control over their children, however it seems this family used isolation.

Respected Contributor

Thank you @colliemom4 

Respected Contributor

now got the DVR set for this show along with all the other crazy reality shows I watch.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliemom4 wrote:

@sissel wrote:

I just started watching this show, reminds me of the Duggars in a way. I can only imagine being sheltered then coming into the real world would be a huge challenge. Just trying to make friends in the real world and don't know much about computers, music or anything that a young adult should know. The older girls know about makeup they do a great job with that, suprised the parents allowed them that. Does anyone know what the Dad does for a living? Wonder if he works outside the home. Their new house is nice. 

@sissel  The dad is a transportation planner. I'm not quite sure what that entails. He's worked for the same company for over 25 years. They must be located next to the Georgia Florida line because his office is in Florida. I can't tell you what town because I read about it when the show first aired which was last year I believe. I also recall reading that both parents are college educated though they seem to show little to no interest in their children's education.

They certainly are like the Duggars. I believe they hold many of the same religious beliefs. At least the Duggar kids have traveled and weren't totally sheltered. It doesn't seem like these kids even have friends. I feel sad for them. Their parents have done a lot of harm in the way that they've raised them. I feel the mom is an extremely hateful woman as well.

@colliemom4  The only reason the Duggar's traveled was storyline for their show which TLC paid for. Edited to add, they traveled for their church on their own but all the vacations were on tlc's dime.

Super Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@colliemom4 : I read somewhere that they live in Thomasville, GA. I used to travel through there for work several years ago when DH was stationed in GA. It was one of my favorite places in south Georgia. It's a beautiful iconic southern town. It's very close to the FL/GA border. The company I worked for was based in Tallahassee. 

I've only watched the show a couple of season two shows but I think I will watch season one to get a better understanding of the family dynamics. 

Esteemed Contributor

I believe they live in Cairo, GA which is about 30 miles from the area where the father works.