Esteemed Contributor

We Lost ALL THE Shows On Our DVR.

Yesterday a thing popped up on the TV screen saying our receiver was overheated.  It didn't feel hot but you could hear the fan running loudly.

She called Direct TV.  Between being on hold and actually getting a human being she was on the phone for 1 hr. and 15 minutes. All that for "we will send a guy tomorrow anywhere from 8am to noon".  At 11:50 he called, he was 45 minutes away,

Upshot,  we needed a new receiver and the upteen show we had recorded (including 38 episodes of The Closer and DD's 54 episodes of Bob's Burgers), every movie we recorded, all gone. 

The movies we bought will all have to be downloaded again. 

I am not a happy camper.  Yes, in the scheme of things not life threatening, just irritating.  

Honored Contributor

Re: We Lost ALL THE Shows On Our DVR.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Oh no! I would actually cry if that happened to me! I know it's a big pain and I know how upsetting it can be.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry. When our receiver breaks I so dread losing all my shows and then having ito reset all my series to record. Why oh why can't they make that easier? 

Esteemed Contributor

That happened to me, but the Comcast tech told me to just unplug the box for a few hours to let it cool off ... sure enough that did the trick.   And, of course, we didn't lose any data or recordings.

No new box, no tech in home visit, and no lost of recordings!

Honored Contributor

That happened to me a month ago when my really old DVR stopped working.  Not only did I lose the shows, but my old Time Warner DVR was a nicer, more user friendly machine, this Spectrum box is a POS. To be fair I can record more shows at one time, but it is glitchy.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Super Contributor

Oh! I can feel your pain because the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago! I could have cried but I was too mad LOL. I lost so many shows too. Ugh. There really should be some kind of backup to save us!

You're lucky your fix was so fast. We have ATT U-verse. After losing the DVR shows the box in the master bedroom then "stuck" and wouldn't work at all.

We tried to do all the steps in their online support section, but still no good. So had to have them troubleshoot with us over the phone, and they decided they had to FedEx a new box to us. That was delivered, but there were problems setting that one up too, even though we followed all their instructions to a T.

So I had to call phone support again and they tried to "push" it (?) on their end and they had us follow a million instructions but still no go.

They scheduled an appointment for their technician to come and to fix it and he couldn't get it to work either (!), so he installed another new box and did some other things and voila!

Only took a week to fix. Grrr.

Hope you have good luck getting your movies back on. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Yesterday a thing popped up on the TV screen saying our receiver was overheated.  It didn't feel hot but you could hear the fan running loudly.

She called Direct TV.  Between being on hold and actually getting a human being she was on the phone for 1 hr. and 15 minutes. All that for "we will send a guy tomorrow anywhere from 8am to noon".  At 11:50 he called, he was 45 minutes away,

Upshot,  we needed a new receiver and the upteen show we had recorded (including 38 episodes of The Closer and DD's 54 episodes of Bob's Burgers), every movie we recorded, all gone. 

The movies we bought will all have to be downloaded again. 

I am not a happy camper.  Yes, in the scheme of things not life threatening, just irritating.  

That has happened to me many times, I had Spectrum and I had to have my DVR box replaced, off he went with all my shows I was saving. I was told long ago from Spectrum one day there would be a cloud where all your programs could be saved.

Honored Contributor

I just have cable and use Tivos, but am curious - can you not go onto your cable/sat account, where you rented the machine, and the shows are also there so you can get them back onto your machine, or a new machine?

With Tivos I've always been able to do that either to move them to another box or do things like deleting or whatever.   I've never had a box die, but have disconnected and still all the contents exist on my Tivo account.  Even if the box dies for some reason, all the 'My Shows' and Season Pass content is there.

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt   The way it was explained to me, any movies we purchased we can go to "purchases" and just download them again. 

Shows or movies we recorded off regular channels are gone and cannot be retrieved. If you accidently delete something it's gone too.

Early last fall I accidently deleted all my Closer episodes instead of just one. It was on Lifetime 5 days a week. I figured I would just start over.  Yeah, right.  I didn't factor Lifetime starting fricken Christmas movies on Oct. 25 and going thru New years. When they finally started normal TV again I have been slowly recording them again.  Well , I was.

Trusted Contributor

I would have a fit about this but my DVR is really old and I need a new one so this would at least force the issue. I hear about all of these people with tons of shows on theirs and mine doesn't hold much at all.