Honored Contributor

We Knew This was Coming - October 12, 2019

Will you watch? 

The College Admissions Scandal

A crooked college admissions consultant! Wealthy, obsessive parents! Devastated teens! Public embarrassment!

Lifetime has released its first look at the movie based on the widespread college admissions scandal that has entangled actresses Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman. 

The trailer for the upcoming ripped-from-the-headlines movie doesn't mention Loughlin and Huffman by name but features two mothers obsessed with getting their children into top colleges and willing to partner with a shady college admissions consultant. Sound familiar?

The movie, which premieres Oct. 12, features Penelope Ann Miller and Mia Kirshner playing wealthy mothers Caroline and Bethany, who work with charismatic college admissions consultant Rick Singer.

Singer, played by Michael Shanks, helps them find a backdoor to get their teens into top universities.

Singer was the real-life owner of a college counseling service that authorities say used bribes and other fraudulent activity to get the children of wealthy parents admitted into elite universities. In the movie, he cooperates with the FBI and pleads guilty to his schemes, which Singer did in real life.

Caroline and Bethany then must deal with the fallout after the scandal comes to light.

Honored Contributor

Re: We Knew This was Coming - October 12, 2019

No.    I've heard "enough already".............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I'll watch. It's an interesting story.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Worked in college environment most of my career. My four years working at a private college opened my young eyes to how $.$$$.$$$ can buy privilege and 'respect.' And this can't be compared to the politics and favors that goes on in prestigious institutions recently in the news. Loving my decades career at community college. Cuts through that mess. Real people who desire  quality lives, many wanting to break poverty cycles in their families. No arguments. This is my biased opinion. No, I won't be watching, but glad this subject is out in the open.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Thanks for letting me know.  I don't watch Lifetime but will be DVRing this.

Looks interesting and I have been following this. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll pass. I'll continue loosely following the real life events but not interested in Lifetime's version.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

NO!!!!  I am always astounded by the greed surrounding these "movies".

The fact that they wealthy use their advantages is not new.  It goes on everywhere.

IMO, those who felt they were entitled to buy their children's college admissions should be punished.  

Does anyone care about the students who worked hard to attend college, only to be passed over for some celebrity's money????

Respected Contributor

I think it would be better to wait to make the movie until we know the verdict of the two women.  Of course maybe they figured no one would care by then and they wanted to do it while topic was hot.