Respected Contributor

Re: Wayfair and other awful ads

I laugh at the one where the lady says she did all this research on what car to buy then she smashed it into a tree. Maybe she should have done research on how to drive. 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 I agree about the drugs.  I wonder how many people go to their Drs, pull out a piece of paper and say I want "bla bla".  The Dr says, "Well, you don't have this or that.  That bla bla is for something you don't have".  Something like that.

It's stupid and I also hate seeing all of these drugs advertised.  It takes seconds for them to say all of the problems these drugs cause.

I do like the add for something, forget what it's for but it has the Boys 2 Men singing all of the problems that arise if you take a particular drug.  That one is funny but I don't think it's for a drug, something else.  Maybe Citi Bank?

Honored Contributor

I stand by my comment about drugs of any kind being advertised.  

I let my Dr decide what's best for me.  Before I take anything I read everything I can about it.  I would never go to my Drs and tell them what I want to take.

So I googled the question on why drug manufacturers advertise on tv and one thing came up here it is:https://www.thrillist.com/health/nation/why-are-prescription-drug-advertisements-legal-in-america

Prescription drug ads are ubiquitous, to such a degree that most Americans likely don't even think it's strange that patients are asked to recommend drugs to their doctors... which kind of should be the other way around, right? Even stranger, the United States is the only country, besides New Zealand, that legally permits "direct-to-consumer" pharmaceutical advertising. With America in the midst of an opioid epidemic fueled in part by prescription painkillers, it's worth asking how we became a nation that can from one side of the mouth declare a war on drugs, and from the other spew ad copy telling people to take drugs.

Esteemed Contributor

"If you've got a life....you've got a Swiffer"

I HAVE a life and I DON'T HAVE a SWIFFER!!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

The boys to men commercial is for Geico. I do like some of the Wal-Mart commercials that I've seen, especially the music.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher Thank you.  I was just too lazy to google it.  I have a terrible memory and I get tired of looking things up but when I go by memory.....well...you see the results.  Ha!

Honored Contributor

@Vivian@Annabellethecat66Thanks to you both for agreeing with me.  I thought more people would have.  I think it's true that only the US and New Zealand allow drugs to be advertised on TV.  The rest of the world is smarter.  

On a less serious side I hate the commercial, forget what the product is because I change the channel, something to do with plumbers because they show people with their pants low showing their crack.  Awful!

Honored Contributor

I dislike a lot of the commercials too.  Some are very annoying.  Also, I cannot think of one item I bought because of seeing a commercial on TV.  (and I buy quite a bit)

Honored Contributor

Most of the Pharmaceutical ads are awful as well.  Stupid music....actors acting stupid...just awful  ads about drugs that they even tell you could kill you right on the commercial..... and everyone is smiling..    or the ads for depression drugs with the actors holding sad or happy faces on a stick.....I mean PLEASE give the public some kind of acknowledgement of intellect.....we are not ALL idiots.....( just a few😆)

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

In the scheme of things, this is just annoying, but as soon as a particular Wayfair ad (online furniture) comes on, I can't change the channel fast enough. It's the one where people dance around their new furniture. The "dancing" is atrocious and gets on my last nerve. What's your most despised TV commercial?

@Vivian  I hate the Wayfair ads too......the actors are so embarrassing to watch...they   make these ads for someone who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer......