Respected Contributor

Re: Watching about Rockafeller, Carnige, etc.

@Bookplate wrote:

They made their money before the imposition of an income tax.  

The first income tax was imposed during the Civil War and again in 1894 for the top 2% of wealth. In 1913, we got our modern income tax system which is continually changing. But in the words of Leona Helmsley "Only the little people pay taxes."

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Bookplate wrote:

Cheap labor too, back then they worked kids too, pay offs, no unions  till later, no benefits. Maybe a company store.  No Gov. regulations, rules, etc.

You could work a person to death.

Welcome to 2022, rinse and repeat in the gig economy. Few unions and no benefits.

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Bookplate wrote:

Cheap labor too, back then they worked kids too, pay offs, no unions  till later, no benefits. Maybe a company store.  No Gov. regulations, rules, etc.

You could work a person to death.

Rockefeller owned companies, mining in particular, hired strikebreaking thugs to kill striking workers.  Woody Guthrie wrote songs about this disgraceful period in labor history.

Honored Contributor

@bronxgal1 wrote:

NOT ALL OF THEM WERE WHITE AND PRIViLEGED!!

Yes, that's why I said "most".

Esteemed Contributor

Stories of the Good , the Bad and the Ugly .

Yes, the stories of these men are fascinating , however reality  of how they used their power was often very ugly and rutless  .  Some did contribute  to the lesser privileged  via  philanthropy, however it did not go quite far enough .

Even now a days the very rich , if they wanted could  donate more towards  providing  benefits to children and families so people can achieve success in our society.

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 not just philanthropy, but providing a living wage.

Someone did the math on Bezos. If he paid each of his warehouse employees $50k a yr, it would cost him 1/2 of 1% of his net wealth.

The Great Resignation is forcing many employers to finally cough up a better wage. 

Valued Contributor

In addition to television, I have learned so much more about history through reading historical novels.

When I was in high school, we never got to WWII@!

Esteemed Contributor

I graduated from H.S. in 1962 and the previous poster is correct; we never discussed WWII. However, one of the pivotal points of my entire education was in the 9th grade, when the mother of one of my Jewish classmates, somehow got our entire class in the cafeteria to watch an several hours long documentary "The Nuremberg Trials".  She also gave an introduction to the film.  That's how I found out about the Holocaust.

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

Stories of the Good , the Bad and the Ugly .

Yes, the stories of these men are fascinating , however reality  of how they used their power was often very ugly and rutless  .  Some did contribute  to the lesser privileged  via  philanthropy, however it did not go quite far enough .

Even now a days the very rich , if they wanted could  donate more towards  providing  benefits to children and families so people can achieve success in our society.

Mark Cuban was discussing his mail order pharmacy providing generic drugs at cost plus shipping. He said he wanted to do some good. And said "Another dollar will not change my life"

Honored Contributor

I'm still learning about WWII. So much history lost either deliberately, by accident or by shear omission.