Honored Contributor

Watching a show about the 70's

They were talking about the "favorite family shows". Did your family have a favorite family show that everyone gathered around to watch together?  We had Sea Hunt and I Remember Mama.  Those were two special nights a week we all were together for.  Did you and your family have gathering for shows?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watching a show about the 70's

No.  Even going back to the early 50s, I don't recall the fam ever getting together to watch a "family favorite" on TV.

There were shows I watched with my brother before and after school.   I watched a few soap operas with my mom, but that was frustrating because I'd lose all the stories when summer vacation ended.

I recall watching news and political commentary with my father waaaay before I understood much of it.

Honored Contributor

Mash appealed to everyone in the fam. Great show.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My whole family watched "Dark Shadows" together. It aired around 4:00 'o clock weekday evenings. My father would get in from work , my mother was getting dinner on the table and all of us (siblings) were usually at home from school by this time. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

My parents watched “Sea Hunt!” They begged me to sit and watch with them, but I didn’t. (playing outside instead)

We all watched “Wonderful World of Disney” and “Father Knows Best.”

Also, “Dr Kildare” oooo I was in love with Richard Chamberlain!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

The Frito's corn chips with bean dip came out for Falcon Crest and Fantasy Island.

None of these are "family oriented ", but we all watched together.

Also M A S H  and Taxi.

Honored Contributor

I don't ever remember watching any TV  shows with my parents as a kids.  They had their shows and we had ours.

Honored Contributor

My family gathered around the TV to watch Disney, Wild Kingdom, I Dream of Jeannie, Bewitched, Flipper, Bonanza, Gomer Pyle, Laugh-in, Hee-Haw, etc.   

Honored Contributor

Lawrence Welk, The Beverly Hillbillies, Hee-Haw.....we were part of the once important rural demographic.

Super Contributor

We watched The Wonderful World of Disney and The Ed Sullivan show, saw Elvis ( of course he wiggled too much so they only showed his top half) I Love Lucy and many of the early family sitcoms. I remember watching Ben Casey, Peyton Place and Dallas with my Mom as I got older.  What surprises me is that we only had 7 channels but there were many good shows to watch and now, at times, there is nothing on for me.  Remember having to hold the antenna with the foil wrapped on the ends to make the picture clearer?  That I don't miss.