Valued Contributor

I enjoy watching the Netflix show "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo." A much nicer. saner way to deal with decluttering your life. She is a little sugary sweet, but that is almost relaxing and rewarding. The people aren't dealing with serious mental illness, just need some decluttering suggestions and guidance.

Honored Contributor

@Colinka wrote:

I enjoy watching the Netflix show "Tidying Up with Marie Kondo." A much nicer. saner way to deal with decluttering your life. She is a little sugary sweet, but that is almost relaxing and rewarding. The people aren't dealing with serious mental illness, just need some decluttering suggestions and guidance.

These are 2 totally separate issues.

Honored Contributor

I believe It's a mental illness, and it is very hard to understand that they do not see and understand the mess they are living in.

Honored Contributor

Back when I had cable I used to watch a show every once in a while.  The show wouldn't even be finished and I'd be off the sofa looking for something to discard or donate.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I can't watch this program because of all the different bugs everywhere.  And I really get upset when the hoarder has pets, especially cats.  They should be arrested for animal abuse.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Watching Hoaders

[ Edited ]

As mentioned, dealing with hoarding vs. cluttered living spaces are two different things. The former is a mental illness and needs to be managed by mental health professionals, not "lifestyle experts."

That's often seen when family members get involved, with dire consequences. They don't understand the illness, often try to control the cleanup, dig up old family issues, get upset at the lack of progress, etc.

Once, the family members were present at a cleanup which, we were told, lasted over 3 hours. Ultimately, the camera focused waaay to the back of the huge truck, where only two small boxes of stuff were disposed of/donated. The hoarder kept retrieving things, and the family members were frustrated.

Yes, treatment and supervision--and followup--are required for these challenging cases.

What worries you masters you.