Honored Contributor

Re: Watching CNN about the 60's and 70's

Prescription drugs.

I’m sure Valley of the Dolls wasn’t a fictional plot. 

Not a documentary but those who had certain doctors,

especially diet doctors, and $$ probably could get

hooked fairly quickly.  Then add a 2-martini lunch...ooof.

Esteemed Contributor

Graduated from high school in the mid '70s in southern CA.  Pot, whites, reds, quaaludes and angel dust were the drugs of choice in the area I was in.  The angel dust was probably closer to the lates '70s.  You knew they were around, some people did them, but it was certainly not everywhere and nobody every approached you to try them.   And ICAM, @Mary Bailey, the '70s were a great time!!

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in Los Angeles, graduated high school in 1966, moved to Tempe, AZ my senior year of high school and graduated from ASU in 1970. Then came back to Newport Beach. I was not really aware of drugs in high school, more alcohol abuse going on. In college, there seemed to be more drugs around towards my senior year, but I didn't run with that crowd. In the 70's drugs were around if you wanted them, but those that were interested  seemed to be mostly into Pot and Cocaine. Again, I was not interested in drugs, but those were great times. At least people talked to each other. I am not really a fan of where some of the technology has taken us and I think we will be sorry if we don't get it under control.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I live in NY, outside the city.  

I graduated high school in 1972.  Went to a public grammer school and Catholic all girl high school (I did the opposite of everyone else).

When I was 17, the drinking age in NY was lowered to 18.  So back in the day before photo driver licenses, etc., we snuck into bars with fake ID or knew the bouncer.  So when I turned 18 in my senior year - yikes.  Every class outing ended up in a bar.  We got away with ****** that no way would be allowed today.

When I chaperoned dances/events while working in a high school, I was up those poor kids' backs all the time as I got away with it 40 years prior.  

None of us were involved w/drugs at that time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only caught 10 minutes of the CNN 60's show.  I'm dating myself here. I grew up about 20 miles from Manhattan . The Beatles and the British Invasion came on when I was about 13. I graduated HS in 1968.  A year that went  down in history. The best and worst of times. The second Kennedy and MLK were assassinated and the Vietnam war waged on. I grew up in a an affluent neighborhood where 99% of kids went on to and finished college. My friend and I worked as "usherettes" at a big live theater in the next town. Saw tons of musical  and comedy acts. Billy Joel lived one town over and we'd go see his band play at the bowling alley. They were just HS kids too.

I was the hippie/activist.  In the 70's I became a  feminist.  I'm still the latter two I suppose. After HS I went on to college. Every weekend we'd go into the city to the Fillmore East. About 2000 seats in there.  Yes, pot and drinking.  LSD was around but I never saw anything harder than that. Saw just about everyone (except Janis Joplin.and Hendrix). The Doors, Bob Dylan, CCR, Yes, Deep Purple, etc, etc.

Tickets were $8.00 for three bands.  No kidding, one show the first act was a band no one knew.  They just got off the plane from Europe. When they played the crowd went CRAZY and the second band had to wait through 45 minutes of craziness and applause to stop before they could  even begin their set. That first act was Led Zeppelin! I still love, love music more than most things. Sex, drugs and rock and roll!

In 1972 I moved into Manhattan  I started a job as a flight attendant.  I wouldn't change a thing about being my age in the 1960's, early 70's. In 1976  I moved to San Francisco  for 6 years and loved living there.  Wish I still owned my house that I paid 55K for.  DH is 13 years younger than me and always says he is really jealous of  everything I was so fortunate to experience. 

ETA...  Forgot to add the Disco craze in NYC in the 70's.  I did a great Hustle. Studio 54!

Trusted Contributor

I have enjoyed reading all of the stories posted here.

I graduated high school in the late 70's. I grew up on LI, NY. It was pretty mild where I lived. We mostly went to bars, since you could drink at 18 in NY. Prior to that age, we would hang out at the Green. They were where teenagers hung out in Levittown and Hicksville.

Once we started driving we branched out some to OBI or my favorites in Westbury.

Disco was coming to an end. For me it was Rock and Roll bands like Aerosmith or Queen.   

Valued Contributor

I grew up in the Berkshires of MA,,graduated high school in 1971 , still had high school dances some alcohol there,not drugs. Went to Boston became a nurse ,went to parties  Pot and some pills, never have seen someone shooting up. Yes  times have changed!