Honored Contributor

Watching Academy Award categories question

When you watch nominated films and/or the award shows, do you watch as a viewer only?

Or do you know enough about, for example, being a director to watch as a director might for Best Director-nominated films, or as someone in any of the other professions might watch in their own category?

I don't have enough knowledge about the professions and their respective challenges to watch either films or award shows as anything but a viewer.

I also rarely, especially in recent years, have seen any of the nominated films. I do like learning more about them throughout the course of an award show, especially the Oscars.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Watching Academy Award categories question

I just watch to see the movie stars.

Esteemed Contributor

I honestly don't watch any award shows any more.  I look at the dresses on line.  Since I was a kid I watched everything but celebrities today, not at all.

Respected Contributor

If I watch it, it's only because nothing else is on that interests me.  I don't know any of the younger stars, I haven't seen any of the movies and the fashion is not like the old glamorous days of Hollywood.

Honored Contributor

I haven't watch the Oscars since Halle Barry won for best actress.

Before that, when Marlon Brando won, refused to show up but instead had this American Indian women accept the award for him.

I may take a peep this time around just to see if Wanda Sykes who is one of the MC's gets "beeped" from time to time. 

I do always check out the "red carpet" fashions.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach  When I watch or have watched any movie, I just watch it and decide if I like it or not. I don't overthink it.

Honored Contributor

When I was young I used to watch all the glamour and who received awards. I don't watch anymore and haven't for a long time.  I think there are some excellent films up for awards, talented nominated actors, actresses.  I have my favorites but feel that all the nominees deserve Oscars, how do you choose among them.  Also the show is too long and after awhile I did get bored.  Monday I will find out who won.

Honored Contributor

I'm with you @mspatmac! When I was young it was a big deal, and in our family until some years ago we had "Oscar night," complete with food and dressing up! Well - actually the guys ate the food and left. And no dressing up for them! I've lost interest.

I just read today President Zelenskyy was invited to speak. I told DH he probably would if the Hollywood community made a contribution to the Ukrainian people.

I think they just want to guarantee viewers! LOL!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Thanks to those who replied.

Looks as if none of us here have any of the professional background in any of the film categories.

I guess we're all just viewers and no directors or editors or screenwriters are hanging out on the Q boards.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

One thing that I never understood about the Oscar's is how can a movie win for best director but lose for best picture and vice versa. It makes no sense to me.