Respected Contributor

Re: Watching 3rd season of The Crown

I binge-watched 4 episodes last night. I really liked it. I , for some reason , do not like Olivia Coleman. She is acting well, but I think the Queen is better looking. 

Helen Bonham- Carter is wonderful. The story of Wales was horrific and unfortunately Her Majesty was not there for them , to be really The Mother of the nation. I guess she does lack some emotional core in her. We do not see any relationship and warmth with her own children.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless we lived in the UK during this time, it would be difficult to judge what is true and what is fictionalized. It has always been said the Queen was an absentee mother. Over the years she's been both criticized and admired for her stoicism.

I think we are used to seeing Claire Foy play the Queen as a  pretty, young, dewy eyed woman. That's the portrayal many found unrealistic.

The person who is in charge of the Firm cannot be emotional. We see pictures of this 90 plus year old woman and think she's a sweet, active senior. Age often times mellows people. Remember how she was hated here over Diana's death & funeral? JMO

Trusted Contributor

I finished episode 3 today. I am watching it piece meal to savor it. Helena Bonham Carter was excellent as Margaret. Olivia Coleman is excellent IMO. I think she is wearing a dental prosthesis. I noticed it right away. The british sometimes can be toothy, and she nailed QE2 perfectly. I am an anglophile, btw, so don't start with the hater comments. Woman Surprised

dee