Honored Contributor

Does anyone know what they do for a living.  They seem to have a nice home and they seem to travel to different doctors for consultations for Jazz.  After watching this a few times I cannot imagine Jazz being a boy.  I hope she can get her surgery. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Watchin I Am Jazz

[ Edited ]

@sunshine 919. I have no idea...thanks for the reminder though...I will dvr it.  Jazz has a great disposition and is really smart and mature for her age.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK. I will take the plunge. She is not a boy. I was a child in the late 50s and clearly remember a child with long braids who insisted he was a boy. Luckily, the school adults and parents were kind and affirming so while the rest of us had to wear dresses, he wore boy clothes and was accepted according to his gender identity. 

It taught all the rest of us a valuable lesson in acceptance and meeting a person where they are. 

She is a girl. Sometimes people and animals are born with the genitalia/organs of both sexes. History is full of these references. How wonderful that she can transition if she wants rather than hide her body as transgender people have done throughout time. 

Trusted Contributor

Her father is an attorney specializing in wills, trusts, and estates. 

Respected Contributor

I guess I will be the dissenting opinion here.

I have only seen snippets of the show.  It doesn't interest me, and actually bothers me.  I think it is sad to let one so young do this before they are mature enough.

I find the whole concept to be a mental illness like many others. 

This poor person will NEVER be a female.  The DNA will always say MALE.  So, you can cover it up, suppress it, do surgery on it, etc., but DNA doesn't lie.

These parents getting a tv show about it rings all kind of alarm bells for me.  Just like other parents have exploited their children.

Hyacinth

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I guess I will be the dissenting opinion here.

I have only seen snippets of the show.  It doesn't interest me, and actually bothers me.  I think it is sad to let one so young do this before they are mature enough.

I find the whole concept to be a mental illness like many others. 

This poor person will NEVER be a female.  The DNA will always say MALE.  So, you can cover it up, suppress it, do surgery on it, etc., but DNA doesn't lie.

These parents getting a tv show about it rings all kind of alarm bells for me.  Just like other parents have exploited their children.

Hyacinth

I agree 100%.  If one believes they are something or someone they are not, they have a mental illness. I am saddened that Jazz is not getting the treatment she deserves for her illness.  Instead of getting appropriate treatment, her parents and doctors have allowed her to take female hormones for so long that, according to the show, at 16 she has never experienced normal sexual arousal.  She has no libido and has never experienced orgasm.  All because her parents allowed this dangerous treatment.  How sad for Jazz that she will never experience these normal feelings.  Her parents and doctors have made her a eunuch.  It is no wonder she is admittedly depressed. 

I'm sure I will be labeled a hater.  I'm not.  I'm just upset at the damage inflicted on this poor child.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If someone feels they need to make a change in their gender that's their business.  My problem is that Jazz was allowed to make that decision so young. I think there has to be a certain amount of maturity for that decision to be made, and from what I'm hearing Jazz's decision was made practically when she  was a toddler.  That bothers me. 

I think the mother really wanted another daughter so she encouraged Jazz at a very young age. I don't think Jazz is as emotionally stable as she would like everyone to believe.  I have seen very short scenes  where she seems to be in deep depression.   I wish Jazz well, but she has a long hard road ahead of her.

Respected Contributor

I like the show, Jazz is an amazing young girl, and I feel for her through this journey. Not easy physically or mentally.   Both parents are kind and patient so she is also lucky. I wish the Mother would find another reason to live besides her baby birds... , she cries constantly about the twins leaving. Kinda ridiculous imo. 

Honored Contributor

Some of it can be mental illness.    If anyone is confused about their identity, I truly feel for them.

I've known very effeminate men, raised by a single mom, who are 100% male, married, had children and were never confused ,they never thought they were a woman.   

I've also  known women I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley!    Very physically strong, truck drivers, farmers & such, never wore a dress in their life but they are 100% female.   Again, married with children.  Not confused with their identity.

What I'm trying to say is I think there are varying levels of identity.  Not every woman feels like a 100% girly girl, with a pink room growing up, makeup and the whole nine yards.   Doesn't mean she might be a man inside. And a man who doesn't want to spend his off time fixing cars and watching sport shouldn't feel any less a man.

I've seen only a few brief segments of this Jazz show and the parents creep me out.

I get the feeling the mom is the one confused.

Honored Contributor

I think she suffers from depression and anger issues, and that she's too young to make the medical decisions she's making. I don't like her mom either.