Honored Contributor

Watched dr Zhivago this evening

[ Edited ]

I saw it when it first came out in 1966. I had forgotten how poignant, beautiful and bittersweet it was. He was so deeply in love with both women. However, it was a very LONG movie.

Honored Contributor

Re: Watched dr Zhivago this evening

@151949  You are so right, beautiful, poinant and bittersweet.  Dr Zhivago is truly one of my all-time favorite love stories.  Omar Shariff was the perfect lead man in this epic movie.  The scenery, the story, two women, one man, all in love but suffered many trials throughout their lives.

Mr Shariff played dramatic roles in many great movies in his career.  He is missed.

Respected Contributor

I remember seeing this movie at a midnite showing on New Year's Eve in the late 1960's.  Back then they had a much needed Intermission.  Truly beautiful scenery -- that crystal ice palace was spectacular.  Very romantic and sad too.

Truly a classic !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Dr. Zhivago and The Unbearable Lightness of Being......my two favorite movies EVER ! And it doesn't hurt that-----

Yellow Daffodils have been my favorite flower since I was a teen.

Frequent Contributor

I think this is one time that the movie was better than the book--I tried reading it several years ago and only made it through one chapter.  I agree, the movie was quite stirring.

Honored Contributor

Before the movie started the TV host said that Russia would not allow it to be filmed there so it was filmed mostly in Canada.

Contributor

Dr. Zhivago is one of those movies I watch whenever it is on.  Julie Christie was so stunningly beautiful in that film. 

Honored Contributor

The simple costumes and the  bleak, ugly backgrounds - and yet the 2 women so gorgeous in contrast to that, and Zhivago so handsome.