Valued Contributor

We just finished watching Band of Brothers. And now we are watching The Pacific. Both were done by Steven Spielburg and Tom Hanks. I have learned so much about these two war stories. What these men did for our country was unbielvable. I have so much respect for them. I didn't know much about these wars and now I grateful for what I have learned. 

Honored Contributor

I don't think I'd count on Hollywood for a true account of what happened during a war, what the men had to do or what all they saw. My Dad was at the discovery of a concentration camp and he said he'd never get over the nightmare he saw there. 

Trusted Contributor

@hovis My husband loves these series and watches them quite often. 

Esteemed Contributor

Those are both really great series,both of them.  Informative and truly well done. DH and I have watched them a few times through.  Very touching. The interviews of the real men portrayed were so great.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I don't think I'd count on Hollywood for a true account of what happened during a war, what the men had to do or what all they saw. My Dad was at the discovery of a concentration camp and he said he'd never get over the nightmare he saw there. 

One of my favorites war movies was Bridge Over The River Kwai.  It was based on a true story. 

However, the History Channel did a story about what really went on with the actual survivors.  What an eye opener & horror. Smiley Surprised  I never watched the movie the same again knowing what I know now.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

A documentary film that should be seen: Memory of the Camps.  Should be required viewing.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

I watched Band of Brothers years ago and loved it.

Honored Contributor

What good points you all are making.  I agree that films cannot do justice to the actuality and horrors of war for those who are the brave participants in it.

I also think that movies, especially those from the Golden Age (roughly 1934-- 1959 or thereabouts) can convey something of the feeling and flavor of any particular slice of history.  As long as you are aware that these are depictions and creations of imagination, not reality, they can be pretty powerful.

In another thread I linked a movie that is my favorite portrayal of the homefront (next to "Mrs. Miniver") during World War II, David O. Selznick's "Since You Went Away".  Claudette Colbert must carry on at home with her two daughters while hubby is far away at war.  It's lengthy but perfectly absorbing from start to finish.  It's great to watch on a rainy afternoon, or as an addition to your Christmas movie repertoire.

I dare anyone to watch this heartwarming film without blubbering like I do at so many touching, luminous scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgFefJ2Ne4

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

What good points you all are making.  I agree that films cannot do justice to the actuality and horrors of war for those who are the brave participants in it.

I also think that movies, especially those from the Golden Age (roughly 1934-- 1959 or thereabouts) can convey something of the feeling and flavor of any particular slice of history.  As long as you are aware that these are depictions and creations of imagination, not reality, they can be pretty powerful.

In another thread I linked a movie that is my favorite portrayal of the homefront (next to "Mrs. Miniver") during World War II, David O. Selznick's "Since You Went Away".  Claudette Colbert must carry on at home with her two daughters while hubby is far away at war.  It's lengthy but perfectly absorbing from start to finish.  It's great to watch on a rainy afternoon, or as an addition to your Christmas movie repertoire.

I dare anyone to watch this heartwarming film without blubbering like I do at so many touching, luminous scenes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOgFefJ2Ne4

@Oznell You might like to watch Waterloo Bridge if you can. It's a real tear jerker with Vivian Leigh and Robert Taylor. It's set in London during both wars

Honored Contributor

cherry, thanks!  You are right-- "Waterloo Bridge" is very touching.  And what a star-crossed cinematic pair-- the radiant Vivien Leigh, and Robert Taylor at the height of his glamour..... an unforgettable film.