Honored Contributor

WOODSTOCK on PBS American Experience 8/6

[ Edited ]

"Woodstock:

THREE DAYS THAT DEFINED A GENERATION."

I watched this 2-hour film. Much of it is told from the eyes of some attendees, planners, organizers and more. Includes footage and music playing in the background. I thought the film was excellent. I was 13yo when it happened but I can still remember the music like it was yesterday.  You can view it online or check your PBS listings.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/woodstock/

images.jpg

I really didn't want to watch yet another docu about Woodstock. But this one was different from the rest.  It was very good.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WOODSTOCK on PBS American Experience 8/6

✌️❤️

Respected Contributor

I was 12 when Woodstock happened.    I remember seeing TV news and the Daily News headlines and my parents - The Establishment - saying what is is this country coming to, all these hippies and yippies.  they were so uptight.  my mother never played pop music stations on the radio so i never heard the Stones or The Doors until i was older. probably because of the lyrics and "hippie" lifestyle.  

It was a different world then. young people were so united in peace, love.  very little judgement except by the establishment.  new businesses came to town and the owners were young and in their 20s and it was a breath of fresh air seeing the new boutiques and farm stands. i got in trouble for having a pair of rose colored hippie sunglasses and a strand of love beads. 

Honored Contributor

My husband only caught part of it and was telling me that what he did see  was excellent.  He said it's on later and he's going to record it to see the whole thing.

Honored Contributor

I was 15 at the time and wanted to go so badly!  I remember being glued to the radio listening to as much as I could.

I'll have to watch this.

Trusted Contributor

I was 9, but I'm still interested in seeing it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would really like to see that.  I just searched for it on my DVR, and it's not available.  I put it in a Wish List, so I'll know when it is. I don't want to watch a 2 hour show online.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My friend and her boyfriend were painting her Grandmother's house in upstate New York.  As they drove home, they noticed a line of cars, etc., pulling into the farmer's field.  They followed and returned home three days later.  When my friend entered the family kitchen, her father was reading the NY Dailey News and on the front cover was a photo showing half-nacked people falling down a hill lf mud.  "Well," he said to her, "if any of my kids went to this abomoniation, they would be grounded for life."

Honored Contributor

This is an excellent program and I loved every minute of it.  It is different from other Woodstock documentaries and was very informative .  I didn't go to Woodstock but I did go to Strawberry Fields at Canada which was their version of Woodstock.  It was an experience I will not forget.

My sister lived near Woodstock and I would visit.  Many musicians were in the town, just quietly going about their business.  She is a big Dylan fan and saw him a few times.  The Band is one of our favorites and they were up there also. There was so much great music going on at the time.

Watching the show brought back so many memories .

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree, this was very good.  I was 12 and already into Beatles and some of the Hendrix 🎸tunes and many others. I begged my mom to let me go as my 17 year old cousin offered to take me. She looked at me like what are you thinking...you’re 12, barely!  My mom loved dance music and spent plenty time in clubs before and after she and my dad were married, but there was no way I was going!

I made up for it by blasting Hendrix, Zepplin, Aerosmith, etc. in the 1970s as a teenager in my room where the window would shimmy from the volume...still do while driving. 

There is a cool write up on the dairy farm owner that rented out the land for the festival on Wikipedia .