Honored Contributor

Re: WILLIAM HOLDEN, KIM NOVAK, "PICNIC" TCM 10:00 P.M. EASTERN MONDAY

It's cool that you responded so intuitively to the spectacular cinematography in "Picnic", @NAES1.   James Wong Howe did a fantastic job there and his camera work gives such an authentic feeling of "place"---  he reveals the beauty in the sleepy Kansas town and surroundings...

All this discussion of "Picnic" had me seeking out some interviews with Kim Novak.  I like this one she gave to a French interviewer.  Watch her quickly enter the room-- every inch the movie star, but there's something a little shy and adorable about her.... even with the Eighties' very aggressive jacket shoulders, ha..   She's in her mid fifties and stunningly beautiful.  Love that throaty voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_hiZG5b64

Honored Contributor

I am sorry to see William Holden month come to an end. I really enjoyed watching his assorted movies. He really made some remarkable films. 

I also keep thinking about him playing himself on I Love Lucy. He probably became good friends with Lucille Ball when the made the movie Miss Grant Takes Richmond.

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I posted on another forum about Picnic so if I repeat myself, forgive me!!

Picnic is on my top favorite movie list, very much at the topl  I saw it in the movies at a young age when it was released  with my aunt and loved it and in fact went with two girlfriends  to see it again.  

Everyone in the cast is superb.  I especially love Rosalind Russell's role and thought it Oscar worthy.  Susan Strasberg was wonderful too.  The dance scene between Holden and  Novak is the sexiest love scene in my opinion, all done without taking clothes off and showing a thing to put it simply!!!!  It still sets my heart on fire!!!!! Holden couldn't dance so he had a few drinks to help him and much of the dance scene was shown from their waists up. It worked for me!

The music is spectacular and I have the original sound track .  I also have Moonglow and the Theme from Picnic done by different instrumentalists and a few singers on CD's.  I believe the music played a big part in Picnic and enhanced every scene.

I also have a poster of Novak and Holden in the dance scene which is hanging up in

my room.  

I have seen this movie so many times, the script is in my head.  By the way my girlfriends who went to the movies with me to see Picnic didn't care for it at all.  But they are still my friends despite that fact, LOL !!!!!!

That says it all.

Loved the Morris Stoloff music but also the McQuire Sisters version of Theme from Picnic.

I'm so happy I can watch this anytime I want. Like I need my Casablanca fix, I also need my Picnic fix.

Honored Contributor

Oh, she looked gorgeous in your clip, @Oznell. There was something different about her-was it her teeth? Not sure. I wonder when she became bi-polar. I think she was very shy and it's surprising she did that interview with Larry King.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

"William Holden Month" winds up with several of his most notable films, including my personal favorite, "Picnic".  (And thanks to @Big Joanie for the reminder...)

This filming of William Inge's play is memorable for its acute understanding of middle America.  I love the way Inge penetrates the lives of these Kansas characters, and the movie's gorgeous cinematography aids in the mission.

Unforgettables:   Rosalind Russell's restless schoolteacher;  Arthur O'Connell; a young wide-eyed Susan Strasberg; Holden and Kim Novak falling in love in a hurry; and of course, "Moonglow"--

---

After watching this movie again, I looked up William Inge to see if he wrote anything I might be interested in reading. I have put one of his novels on my "to read" list.

The Wikipedia article was interesting. When he was a child in Kansas, his mother had a boarding house and rented to women school teachers.

Rosalind Russell's performance in the movie was so good-- one minute I was angry at her, the next minute I felt sorry for her "desperation." Inge did a great job of making this character compelling.

Sadly, also learned that Inge committed suicide at age 60.

When I first saw the movie I didn't like Roz Russell's character. Years passed............aha! Now I see where she was coming from. She played it well. Half sad-half pathetic. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm always struck by the sort of sweet, almost "spacy" quality she has in conversation, @Judaline.  She seems intuitive, introspective, a little defenseless.  Can only imagine what Harry Cohn and the Hollywood machine must have done to that kind of spirit... yet when it came to something she felt was important, like retaining her family name "Novak", she had the resources to stand up to him...

The way she talked about feeling discomfort with "heavy" black shoes in "Vertigo", being too firmly rooted to the ground,  that's kind of a familiar thought process to me,  I've wondered if she is left-handed.   I'm a lefty, and think I express myself in similar terms, sometimes, that more practical, pragmatic people get impatient with, like Edith Head seems to have with her, ha. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

Just ran across this thread again -- thinking how much I love this movie and all the stars in it.  

Then, the music -- Moonglow.  I had forgotten the name of the song -- it is one of my favorite.

Of course, William H. is the best.  Saw recently that his long time partner was talking about his foundation to help African wildlife.  Made me like him even more.

And, for the umpteenth time, I recently watched Sunset Boulevard -- the cigarette case -- "Mad About the Boy."

Going back to read all the posts again!

Honored Contributor

Witchy Woman!

When Holden was with Stephanie Powers I heard them talking about their love for animals and starting the animal sanctuary at Africa.  Being an animal activist all my life, I admired the two of them for doing such a noble and caring thing.  I was a Holden fan before but that just was icing on the cake for me!!!!

I enjoyed reading all the posts  about Picnic, some great points and observations!  It's proof that a simple movie can leave such a lasting impression in the land of entertainment for its viewers..  

I loved all of Holden's movies, especially Picnic, but I also always enjoy Stalag 17 which I saw when it came out in the movies and have seen it so many more times.  Holden played a prisoner of war in a German camp  and he also won an Oscar for his performance.  

Thanks for the forum on a great movie which is always a stand out with me.

Honored Contributor

Did you all see the interview on TCM that Robt Osborne did with Novak about 3 or 4 years ago, it was excellent, they rerun it every so often. The star she loved working with the most was Jimmy Stewart, said he was the nicest guy ever , and she cant wait to see him again up in heaven. She did not speak nicely of Sinatra, said he was very condsescending to herself and Hayworth while making Pal Joey. but, I do have to wonder how he was with her when making Man With Golden Arm earlier. She said her career only spanned about 10 years.  Model turned actress.

Honored Contributor

I was also thinking, TCM should add as a little bonus Holden on I Love Lucy!!

Did they air The Country Girl, that was another great one with Crosby and Grace Kelly, Kelly won Oscar.