Valued Contributor

Re: WILLIAM HOLDEN, KIM NOVAK, "PICNIC" TCM 10:00 P.M. EASTERN MONDAY

@GingerPeach wrote

. . .

I do think that the mother, as much as she may have wanted to keep her daughter from being hurt, was as much concerned with the standing in the community that being married to a rich man would bring not only the daughter but the whole family.

---

While I agree that she would have liked the social standing that came with a marriage to Alan, I think Madge's mother really wanted the best for her.

She had gone for romance and passion as a young woman, and ended up struggling to raise two children by herself in a 1950s small town without much in the way of opportunity. She wanted something better for her daughter.

Her own life experience led her to value financial security more highly as an indicator of long-term happiness.

Valued Contributor

@spiderw wrote

. . .

I saw the play on Broadway many years ago.  I was thrilled.  Without the music and movie environment it was of course different from the movie  But I enjoyed and was glad for the chance to see it as a play.

------

What a great experience to have seen the play on Broadway. 

Respected Contributor

@cimeranrose wrote:

This movie really does do a great job at portraying small town America. It can make me nostalgic watching it. I didn't grow up in the 1950's but I do remember when I was a little girl that small town America was alive and well but now....not so much unfortunately.

Anyway, fellow "Picnic" fans @Oznell @golding76 @spiderw@Big Joanie @kaydee50 @deepwaterdotter@Serena Sue @Sweet_Serenity @OKPrincess I have a question for you - did Kim Novak's character do the right thing at the end of the movie by getting on a bus to go after William Holden's character? When I first saw the movie on TV 30 or more years ago I thought yes. Now, I have to say I don't think she should have been so rash as to run off and go after him. Your thoughts?

Great Question .. how could she not ... totally agree with the ending ... i

would have done the same thing ....Its just so good .....

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

"William Holden Month" winds up with several of his most notable films, including my personal favorite, "Picnic".  (And thanks to @Big Joanie for the reminder...)

This filming of William Inge's play is memorable for its acute understanding of middle America.  I love the way Inge penetrates the lives of these Kansas characters, and the movie's gorgeous cinematography aids in the mission.

Unforgettables:   Rosalind Russell's restless schoolteacher;  Arthur O'Connell; a young wide-eyed Susan Strasberg; Holden and Kim Novak falling in love in a hurry; and of course, "Moonglow"--

---

After watching this movie again, I looked up William Inge to see if he wrote anything I might be interested in reading. I have put one of his novels on my "to read" list.

The Wikipedia article was interesting. When he was a child in Kansas, his mother had a boarding house and rented to women school teachers.

Rosalind Russell's performance in the movie was so good-- one minute I was angry at her, the next minute I felt sorry for her "desperation." Inge did a great job of making this character compelling.

Sadly, also learned that Inge committed suicide at age 60.

Honored Contributor

Stefanie Powers said last nite, Picnic was not a fave of Holdens, and that he did the stunt himself at the end of running onto the train, he was not supposed to but he begged Josh Logan the director to let him do it himself.  Stef also said that both Holden and Novak had 2 left feet, yet their dance came off amazingly well.

Valued Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Stefanie Powers said last nite, Picnic was not a fave of Holdens, and that he did the stunt himself at the end of running onto the train, he was not supposed to but he begged Josh Logan the director to let him do it himself.  Stef also said that both Holden and Novak had 2 left feet, yet their dance came off amazingly well.

----

The dance itself did not look as if it required much dancing skill; it appeared as if they were just very close and kind of swaying back and forth to the music.

Maybe if they hadn't both had two left feet, they would have thrown in a few twirls and dips.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72, I did not know that Inge committed suicide at 60, although was aware he seemed to lead a somewhat tortured existence.   Sad-- such a talent, and keen insight into people and their motivations...

Honored Contributor

Remember Inge also wrote Splendor in the Grass, also set in Kansas.

Leonard Maltin wrote that in his opinion it was Russell and O'Connell who actually carrried the film. In my opinion,  she deserved an Oscar.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

----

The dance itself did not look as if it required much dancing skill; it appeared as if they were just very close and kind of swaying back and forth to the music.

Maybe if they hadn't both had two left feet, they would have thrown in a few twirls and dips.Woman LOL

Yes, not much dancing skills, but their bodies were so much in sync.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

10:00 p.m. Eastern TCM--   "Picnic".

"William Holden Month" winds up with several of his most notable films, including my personal favorite, "Picnic".  (And thanks to @Big Joanie for the reminder...)

This filming of William Inge's play is memorable for its acute understanding of middle America.  I love the way Inge penetrates the lives of these Kansas characters, and the movie's gorgeous cinematography aids in the mission.

Unforgettables:   Rosalind Russell's restless schoolteacher;  Arthur O'Connell; a young wide-eyed Susan Strasberg; Holden and Kim Novak falling in love in a hurry; and of course, "Moonglow"--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ySwH1b-29e4

Earlier, I did a well intended thank you to @Big Joanie for the reminder of Picnic. Thank you dear friend @Oznell, also. 

I have mentioned several times that PICNIC  is and has been one of favorite movies out of possibly 20.

~"I had seen this movie years after it was made. I learned a lot from the script about relationships and how fate plays into people's lives"~...when least expected...

What I noted more was the filming/photography of a certain creative man, William Inge. An artist in film.

I always see different art form before anything else.

There is one scene where she is standing at her screen door while the shadow of her looking back through the screen door at Holden and the moon lighting shines then slowly vanishes crosses at the same time. WHAT FILMING with shading and shadowing. That makes a great movie.

I LOVED the filming, as art, firstly.

The only movie that Kim Novak was in that I did not care for was 'My Pal, Joey', mainly because I do not care for F. Sinatra; thought she was very blah in with him. Maybe if someone else, I can't really say. I watch nothing Sinatra.

{{ I adored Bell, Book and Candle and Strangers When We meet}}.

Always thought Kim Novak was ahead of her time when she left Hollywood before she became another M. Monroe, and was used. She quoted that several times.

Also, there was a great friend, Harry Cohen that helped her through some difficult times and saw her potential as a serious actress when no one else did, other than another stereotyped made sexx symbol.

After he died, she left everything in Hollywood and apparently never looked back. I did see her received some type of Actor's guild award three years ago.

I had seen a small interview of her about 10 years ago - - - almost 'glee' shouting how happy her life took a turn, ` how she met this wonderful man, a veterinarian.

She had always loved animals and never was allowed to have any, so being married to someone who loved her more than she ever imagined, along with taking her to this secure home very far from any city brought her more joy than she ever knew as a child. She said she had no love from either parent.

She spoke about  her husband's constant 'taking care of her' -like a little girl that she never had, while growing up.

An insatiable protection of love for her, he gave. She said she had more happiness than ever thought possible. I will never forget her emotional state at that very time.

She works with him at his practice and told the story how she cannot wait until morning to be out among the animals and speaks a lot about her dear friend Jimmy Stewart, also her faith of God and Heaven. 

I love these real life happy endings.

She's one of my favorite people.